Pulled the Trigger - Stand Ideas

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Cory Newman

Pulled the Trigger - Stand Ideas

Post by Cory Newman »

Ok - I just ordered the new Black Diamond machine. Looks like I have 4-6 weeks of down time before it shows up, so I guess I'll make a stand for it.

Are there good ideas/examples of stands people have made? I tried searching but I must not be using the proper terms

Thanks!

BillK

Re: Pulled the Trigger - Stand Ideas

Post by BillK »

Cory,

Here's a picture of my set-up that's evolved over 2 years.

The base is a large shipping box that I re-inforced with some 2x4's and it has casters to move it around. The top is an old drafting tabletop.

I then added the "Shark Tank" to keep noise and dust down, a battery back up for clean power and battery to power for a power outage, and a 2 drawer storage cabinet that holds, router bits, collets, clamps, jig parts etc. There are a lot of good set ups on the forum. You can flip through the machine specific topic to find them.
Attachments
image.jpg
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Cory Newman

Post by Cory Newman »

Just checked with UPS and my Black Edition is on the truck for delivery today. I'm starting to get a little excited. I haven't had a chance to start on the stand yet, figure it will take me a couple of days to get the shark all assembled and ready to go anyway.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

You would be surprised. I got mine and had already played with the software a little bit. When it came and the adrenaline started flowing, I had my first cuts made within 24 hours of the UPS arrival. Once you get your mind into the work flow of the software and all its easier than it looks.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Here is a stand and enclosure that is pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0BR20ecsA

Jon ...
Woodbury Mn
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Cory Newman

Post by Cory Newman »

some good ideas there, thanks!

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

I am a newby to CNC too. But, noise, dust control, ease of maintenance (think lubrication), and ease of making changes on the computer and have easy access to the tooling etc are things to look for. Browse these pages, there is alot of info in the older articles as well. I view the Shark as a entry level Ford. Six cylinder, no radio, crank windows, blackwalls. But in this simplicity, modifications are easy to do. There is no mystery to the equipment.

Jon ...
Woodbury Mn
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I know it may seem like cheating, but Rocker has an angle iron stand kit put together just for the Sharks. I found I could buy the legs and stretchers separately and save a few buck, and added my own top, casters, and shelving to it for my PC, the controller, and a drawer for bits and clamps and such. I made my top a little longer so I could clamp a monitor to it.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Think about what height do you want to work at, do you want to be able to move it around easily or is it going in one permanent location. Where are you going to store your supplies?

If it were me, I wouldn't build a tank for it to be in. Everyone has a different use for the machine and you really should know how you access it for new stock, vacuuming, lubricating etc. You'd be better off checking that out then designing a enclosure that meets your needs. I tried an enclosure once but didn't like it. I tried the dust boot. It worked ok but I usually just let the chips fly and vacuum later unless it is MDF.

The only requirement for the table is that it be nice and firm so there aren't vibrations or movement to affect the shark in motion. Other than that, let your mind get creative. I had an old solid wood desk that I picked up at a garage sale years ago for $10. It is built like a tank and is the perfect dimension for the shark. I only wish that it was taller but something that simple works so well that there is no reason for me to spend time building anything.