choosing a bit

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

azlogger

choosing a bit

Post by azlogger »

So I just got my new Pro Plus, made a couple of signs with it...now I have a big job for it. I need to cut out a bunch of bookshelf ends for bookshelves to go on the back of church benches...
Songbookracks.pdf
here's the file
(7.09 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
These are 3/4" alder and the slot in the side is 3/8" deep. So I need to know what kind of bit(s) to buy to cut these. What's most efficient? I favor 3/16-1/4" diameter but thats not mandatory.
Thanks

milo30

Re: choosing a bit

Post by milo30 »

Just a 1/4" endmill will do it for you and you'll have tons of other uses for it in the futures

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Azlogger,

I agree with milo30, the 1/4" is a great all around bit for stuff like this, for cut-out and milling. I notice that you had an over travel on the bottom of the routed "track" for the front and bottom of the cross pieces. Have you considered making one of the edges with a round-over and making it conform to the channel without the over travel? it would make for a better fit and appearance, and also on the top of the front.... it would fit the top of the slot and also provide for rounded edges that would be easier on body parts if bumped, but would also be easier on the songbooks. My experience with songbook racks is that people tend to be a little lazy when retrieving a song book and will drag them along the top inside edge of the rack. That sharp corner (if you a planning it that way) will have a tendency to wear the cover of the book faster. I'm sure you are planning it but what kind of engraving are you going to put on the fronts? This is a great opportunity to allow your workmanship to really shine and have a quality book rack look like a piece of art. Wouldn't take a lot of engraving, just the right, simple design. ;)

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

azlogger

Post by azlogger »

Thanks for the replies.
Roger, I really like the ideas! I'm doing this job for my uncle so I'll have to run it by him...also we are just adding more racks so they need to match the old ones, UNLESS I can convince him to make all new ones! ;)

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Make them a sample and charge them good for just the additional racks and make it a sweet (barely cover cost) deal to decorate the existing racks. There nothing like having the whole congregation seeing your work everytime they sit there and take a song book. I've been trying to getting work out and get it seen and sometimes you have to make those "hard to refuse" deals to get that accomplished. I just made a sign for the local American Legion that I would value at $250 and donated it to them. Only thing is 3 other post have now seen it and got ideas whirling about that and other things like desk name tags etc. I find it hard to get people interested in what I do if the don't see it for themselves. Some areas may be easier to sell than others but that's what I'm doing.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com