Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

azlogger

Same file, different depth cut?

Post by azlogger »

I need to make 100+ of these:
Songbookracks.pdf
(7.09 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
3/4" alder. That slot in the side is supposed to be 3/8" deep...the perimeter cut through. I tried and I tried and I couldn't find any way to cut all the way through on part of it and not on all. Is there any way to do this or should I just run two programs? Thanks

4DThinker

Re: Same file, different depth cut?

Post by 4DThinker »

For the files attached I imported your PDF. I had to close the perimeter line, delete a couple of spare line segments, extend the inside dado outline so it would cut cleanly through the back edge of the piece, then close that profile.

A 1/4" bit would not fit in that inside profile, so I switched to a 3/16" bit and used a pocket toolpath for the dado and a profile toolpath for the outline. Made sure the part/plate thickness was set to 3/4" and the dado depth was 3/8". Hope this helps.
Songbook4D.jpg
Attachments
SongBook4D.crv
(75 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Eagle55

Re: Same file, different depth cut?

Post by Eagle55 »

I can't open the crv file because I am still using 6.5 VCarve, but if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you may be using the same tool path for both the through cut and the dado cut. It thats the case you will have to have two different tool paths but if they both use the same tool bit then you can create the two tool paths and then save them both to the same .tap file and it will cut one, then the other. What does the preview show in the program when you run the simulation in VCarve? Is it working correctly in the program but different in the actual cutting? I wish I could see the crv file but I'm poor and can't afford to upgrade just yet. LOL Also, what is the width of the dado cut? I was thinking it was 3/8" wide ??

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com