Cutting capabilities with black diamond?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Twosistersetc

Cutting capabilities with black diamond?

Post by Twosistersetc »

I have not purchased the machine yet but hope to do so this weekend. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I am planning to use this to cut wooden monograms, primarily out of 1/4"-1/2" cabinet grade plywood and wooden clothes hangers out of 3/4" plywood and 1" lumber. I have been using a scroll saw for these projects so I'm hoping this will greatly improve both quality and the speed of completion. My question for now is will it be possible for me to cut acrylic with this or would a laser cutter be better for acrylic?

4DThinker

Re: Cutting capabilities with black diamond?

Post by 4DThinker »

A Laser will leave a polished edge on most plastics. The Shark can cut some plastics fine if the feed/speed/pass are all set perfect. Hard to find perfect though and when you don't the plastic can melt or chips fuse right back into the kerf.

Twosistersetc

Post by Twosistersetc »

Thank you. Will it cut the other things (wood) ok?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Twosistersetc wrote:Thank you. Will it cut the other things (wood) ok?
It'll cut woods both hard and soft, most sheet goods made from wood, high density plastics pretty well including corian and similar counter top materials. Generally if you can cut it with a router you can cut it with a CNC that uses a router.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

It may or may not faster than how you've been ding it in the past but it should definitely improve quality. Even if it isn't faster, you can be doing something else while it works. It will cut everything you asked about just fine . If you have a rocklers nearby go get a demonstration of what it does or look in youtube for some videos.