Flat area cearance issue

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rungemach

Re: Flat area cearance issue

Post by rungemach »

Milo30

Glad you found you can ramp the cut. Ramping the plunges can make a substantial difference in the initial entrance quality. The harder the material, the more important it becomes. I think it is mandatory for something hard like aluminum.

The ramping also helps eliminate the "shake" that a flat bottomed cutter does when it tries to enter the material (on a machine with some free-play in the bearings etc). It helps eliminate any "plunge bounce" as the downward z speed is slowed while it ramps down.. I also ramp the cut on tabs as well, for a better surface finish around the plunge area sides.

It took me a while to find the ramping options as well, so don't feel bad. I would venture to guess that many here are not aware of what it is and the good it can do.

I feel ramping is an often overlooked feature that does not get the attention it may deserve, considering how it can improve certain cuts. I try to use a ramp length about 4 times the router diameter to try and be sure it is always cutting while traveling horizontally. With a flat bottom tool I never plunge straight or nearly straight (with a short ramp length).

Hope this works well for you.

milo30

Re: Flat area cearance issue

Post by milo30 »

Just an update, I made the changes and bumped my speeds back up and it cut the flat bottom as smooth as glass. This is going to make life much simpler.