Life of Bosch Router

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

LAMEIII

Life of Bosch Router

Post by LAMEIII »

I've seen a couple of comments on the Bosch router having to be replaced on the shark. I'm trying to decide what cnc machine to purchase and was wondering what is the expected life of the router?
I'm thinking about the General i-Carver which has a spindle as opposed to a detachable router.
Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Dwayne125

Re: Life of Bosch Router

Post by Dwayne125 »

Greetings and Happy Holidays Jim

I am using a DeWalt 611 on my shark. I have it rigged to fit, but am exspecting a mount from NextWave. I love this little powerhouse, as much as the Shark. The DeWalt is rated at 1.25hp and has many attachments (optional) including dust collection and plunge base. The most impressive part of this router to me is the noise....errr lack of noise. As far as longjevity goes, not sure, tis a new product. Im happy with the DeWalt and would cecomend it, just my 2 cents worth of input.

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Hi Dwayne,

I was looking for that dust collection attachment for the 611 - to get some more ideas - and couldn't find a reference number. Any hints, links? Thanks!
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

REG

Post by REG »

Dwayne125 wrote:Greetings and Happy Holidays Jim

I am using a DeWalt 611 on my shark. I have it rigged to fit, but am exspecting a mount from NextWave. I love this little powerhouse, as much as the Shark. The DeWalt is rated at 1.25hp and has many attachments (optional) including dust collection and plunge base. The most impressive part of this router to me is the noise....errr lack of noise. As far as longjevity goes, not sure, tis a new product. Im happy with the DeWalt and would cecomend it, just my 2 cents worth of input.
I got to run the Colt and the Dewalt 611 in my hand next to each other. The Dewalt has more of a jolt starting up. The Colt does make more noise but not terribly much more but I did notice the Bosch blows more air so I assume the added noise source might be the internal fan of the Colt. As much as I run mine (the Colt) a good fan is a good thing but it doesn't mean I won't try the Dewalt if and when my Colt wears out. Another couple of pennies worth of input.

Bobby

cwfreitas

Post by cwfreitas »

I just burned up a Bosch colt router last night on a 6 hour carve. It is just over a year old.

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Happy Holidays to all

HJ
The dust collection for the DeWalt 611 only works for the base that you would have to remove to fit the router into the shark. I dont see any way that the dust collection system could be modified to be used with the shark. As far as finding one, I have not looked yet. Mine was purchased just for the shark. I would try Amazon, or DeWalts factory web site. I must have thrown out the axcessory flyer that had the part # (duhhh) on my part. It shows them in the operators manual, just not the part #s.

Bobby
I havn't had a chance to run a side by side, but my bosch went south just doing hand work, not good. With the base off and mounted in the shark the dewalt blows chips clear of the workpiece. These are good size chips, not dust. I have run my dewalt for several hrs at a time and it has always been jus a little warm to the touch afterwords. I didnt buy the bosch again because of the fact that several ppl had them burn up in a yr or less. What I would do if the project I was running lasted for 4 or more hrs is either give the router a rest between tool changes or just use pause to let it cool down. Also did you run both side by side at the same speed, not number on dial but actual speed. That setting affects noise and air flow as well as the torque you feel when turning the router on.

For all thoes interested the warantee is 1yr labor, 3yrs limited (probably send out the parts you need) and 90 day money back. I figure as long as I have the parts I can fix it for a least 3 yrs.

Hope this helps and ok that might have been 5cents worth.......ahhh its the holidays....keep the change :mrgreen:
Dwayne

REG

Post by REG »

Dwayne125 wrote:
Bobby
I havn't had a chance to run a side by side, but my bosch went south just doing hand work, not good. With the base off and mounted in the shark the dewalt blows chips clear of the workpiece. These are good size chips, not dust. I have run my dewalt for several hrs at a time and it has always been jus a little warm to the touch afterwords. I didnt buy the bosch again because of the fact that several ppl had them burn up in a yr or less. What I would do if the project I was running lasted for 4 or more hrs is either give the router a rest between tool changes or just use pause to let it cool down. Also did you run both side by side at the same speed, not number on dial but actual speed. That setting affects noise and air flow as well as the torque you feel when turning the router on.

For all thoes interested the warantee is 1yr labor, 3yrs limited (probably send out the parts you need) and 90 day money back. I figure as long as I have the parts I can fix it for a least 3 yrs.

Hope this helps and ok that might have been 5cents worth.......ahhh its the holidays....keep the change :mrgreen:
Dwayne
Dwayne, no I didn't run them at the same time; I needed another hand to do that. I ran the Dewalt holding it a full speed and just peered at it at various angles and did the same with the Colt. The fan mentioned on the Colt is at the top - pushing air up around the motor.

In my expereince, the primary failure of any electric motor is voltage supply. Too high or too low affects the amp draw which in-turn relates more heat on the windings.
Motors have a threshold over the FLA (full load amps) but not for long periods of time. If the FLA of the Colt is 6 amps and you are running 8 or 9 amps you will eventually cook the motor. A long project carve and exceeding the FLA rating are two negatives on any brand motor.
A common mistake is to overlook your voltage supply. If you are at 115 volts at the wall outlet and you run a 50 foot 16 gauge extension cord, by the time you place a load on that extenion cord your voltage likely drops to 109 - 110 VAC. The Colt is rated for 120 VAC at 60 Hz.

I'm not defending Bosch or any brand but merely hoping to point out other culprits of tool failure.

Bobby

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Bobby

For the most part I agree with everything you posted. I use to build and fly electric RC planes. Voltage is a verry important factor, along with materals, type of mags, coil and coil winding, arbaturs, brushes etc. I also worked with many brushless motors up to I think it was 64v DC. I would be interested in seeing the inside of a burnt bosch to see what the problem is. Mine went south before I had a chance to use it for two long. I didnt take it apart due to the fact I wanted an exchange. Anyway, I am not a brand loyal person. I go by what I like and how well the tool fits my needs. Bobby, did you like the DeWalt compared to the Bosch? Ridgid also makes a palm router that with just a slight mod would fit in the shark, but that router is louder then both the Bosch and DeWalt , but worth taking a look at, it comes with a good fence system for under a hundred at HD.

BTW mabe I will stick the DeWalt in one of my planes and see how it works.

Happy Holidays
Dwayne

REG

Post by REG »

Dwayne125 wrote:Bobby

For the most part I agree with everything you posted. I use to build and fly electric RC planes. Voltage is a verry important factor, along with materals, type of mags, coil and coil winding, arbaturs, brushes etc. I also worked with many brushless motors up to I think it was 64v DC. I would be interested in seeing the inside of a burnt bosch to see what the problem is. Mine went south before I had a chance to use it for two long. I didnt take it apart due to the fact I wanted an exchange. Anyway, I am not a brand loyal person. I go by what I like and how well the tool fits my needs. Bobby, did you like the DeWalt compared to the Bosch? Ridgid also makes a palm router that with just a slight mod would fit in the shark, but that router is louder then both the Bosch and DeWalt , but worth taking a look at, it comes with a good fence system for under a hundred at HD.

BTW mabe I will stick the DeWalt in one of my planes and see how it works.

Happy Holidays
Dwayne
I do like the Dewalt. Had my Shark come with the adapter for the Dewalt or Ridgid as well as the Colt I probably would have gone with the Ridgid because of the lifetime warranty. Noise is a factor to me but lower on the scale of importance over things like tooling - how easy is it to change bits. I'm not crazy about the Colt tooling once mounted on the Shark because the adapter makes it difficult to reach the spindle lock. Dewalts wasn't much better. The LED feature is nice but obviously only works when the router is on. The cord is also at an arkward 90 degree angle. This I believe makes it a bit difficult mounting in the Shark, the Colt comes out at like a 45 degree and it can cause a clearance problem. I like the old bullet style Dewalt (D26670) though it won't mount in the Shark due to the lack of a "collar". The thing I noticed about the Dewalt 611 is that it too has a soft-start but it started with more kick than the Colt. Maybe because of the larger horsepower??

Good discussion though!

Dwayne125

Post by Dwayne125 »

Hello Bobby

Aye, good discussion indeed.
I have my Dewalt mounted so the cord is to the left and the switch to the right. I find that the tool changes are the most easy on the DeWalt. What is awsome about inserting the bits is they fit snug, you can take your hand away to tighten the collet and they dont drop out of the chuck. I find this to be a must have feature after using it, as well as the larger chuck lock button, which is easy to use while mounted on the Shark. You dont have to keep the ring on the DeWalt to mount it. The DeWalt can easyley be mounted temp with shims untill the friction plate for it arrives. The lights are good for inspectiing alighnment while running the machine, you can see right away if somthing is off. The Ridgid is much louder, you would have to cut the friction plate, and the router body sticks out where the cord goes into the router. Using the base on the ridgid I couldnt get it adjusted to fit tightly, and release the lever and have the base come off. Putting the base on and off was a big PITA!. My two cents worth (am I up to a dollar yet?) is stay with the Bosch over the Ridgid. I do own a lot of Ridgid products, but this was not a keeper for me. My wife took all my cameras, she is a photo buff. I will see if she will take some pics. Dont hold your breath though, I have never been able to post a photo yet :oops: I think I will open a new thread on this subject

Catch you later
Dwayne