pocketing

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

pocketing

Post by milo30 »

I am trying to make something and rather than carve everything into one board, I want to add a pocket and mount the object in proud. I understand (sort of) to do a vcarve inlay. Using a 1/4" or 1/8" endmill, how much of an allowance do you suggest putting in the pocket to mount the object without leaving a terrible gap?

Rather than just trial and error, I thought that I'd tap into some of the knowledge here.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: pocketing

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Milo,

I have found that the gap between inlay and pocket typically works out to around 0.015" I offset the pocket 0.007 outward and the inlay 0.007 inward.

That being said, I usually also cut a test set up to verify the gap.

Also remember that the pocket won't have totally square inside corners, so your inlay needs to have radiused corners to match.

Last tip, if your inlay is not too thick, I like to use a 1/32" ball nosed taper bit (carving bit) to cut both the pocket and the inlay. Cut the inlay upside down. The bit is slightly tapered, so the walls of the pocket will be, as will the inlay. This 'scarf' joint makes for a MUCH cleaner looking inlay.

Ralph

milo30

Re: pocketing

Post by milo30 »

Thank you. I have been meaning to try this for some time and the info should help.