Tool Database

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jazpeitia

Tool Database

Post by jazpeitia »

Hello everyone, I am having a problem understanding the tool database. I have looked at the videos and also the documentation for making a tapered ball nose bit in the database. Here's my question......in the database the first field for geometry is Diameter (D) is this value the the shank or the value of my bit.... for instance I have a 1/8 ball nose that has a 1/4 shank on it. would I put .25 for 1/4 or .125 for 1/8? Thank you

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Tool Database

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

The software cares not what the shank is, it only cares about the cutting diameter.

Use the size of the ball end, not the shank.

To be REALLY accurate, you could enter the bit as a form tool so the software will see it as a ball nose that flairs as it rises, but for 99.99% of programs this is not needed.

Ralph

jazpeitia

Post by jazpeitia »

Thank you so much, I guess I read way too much into this. I did not think the shank had anything to do with it myself but not sure. Back to editing!! Thanks again.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - you may also find the Vectric tutorial video on the tool database, including how to set up form tools - useful - Video G14 - http://support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-feature-reference