How should I go about making this?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ruhnau

Re: How should I go about making this?

Post by ruhnau »

I made a v carve file of the fork as close as I could from the picture. The first tool path would be cutting just in the xy plane, which would be used after the xz curvature is cut. The second tool path would be the one I would modify to cut in the xz plane which would cut the curvature. More info to follow as I progress.
Attachments
fork.crv
(195 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

BillK

Post by BillK »

I made an stl file from the photograph which you can import into Cut3D. It calculates to cut each side in about 1.5 hours with a 1/8" ball. You have to add two holes at some point, probably top and bottom, and use those once the top is completed to flip it over and do the other side. You can pm me and I'll send you the stl file.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

plascell9

Post by plascell9 »

If the forks are to be "used" rather than decorative, might the crossgrain weaken the fork if they are totally carved from a block of wood? Seems like the "flat" (carved without flutting curves) suggested process and then steamed and bent would follow the grain better and be stronger for the same finished shape.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

They will be used for cooking, don't know to what extent. They want bamboo but I have not had much luck in attaining any yet. That is a good question though. I think bending may be the best route due to the number of forks they want. I am too busy at the moment to give several hours per fork on the machine when I have some paying orders that I need to do.

Hopefully I will get something started on them this weekend. Any suggestions on a good wood to use if I don't find bamboo?

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thinking about it after I made the stl file, you could probably cut the carve time to less than an hour by using a 1/4 inch ball cutter for the top and bottom, and a 1/8 inch cutter to profile the outside shape.

As for the wood, I've seen some nice salad forks made fron red Mahogony.

Added 12/30:
Had some time today so I tried the model. Using the 1/4inch ball with an 8% stepover and restricting the carve area to the outline of the fork, I get a little over 10 minutes per side plus 5 minutes for the profile in 1/2" wood. At roughly 30 minutes per fork, 10 could be done in a little over 5 hours, finish sanding and finish application and all.
BillK

BillK

Post by BillK »

So it's cold here today and I had some time so I carved this my version of the salad fork. Of course if you know me I couldn't let well enough stand and had to add the Celtic theme.

4 minutes to rough the back and add two locating holes to precisely locate the front and back with a 1/4" end mill. Another 5 minutes or so to finish cut the back with a 1/4 inch ball end mill. That would be about the same for the front without the additional decoration. Another 5 minutes or less to profile cut it loose. This one took 20 minutes to carve the front.

Red Mahogony with a bamboo oil finish. No steam bender, minimal sanding. Guess I need another one to serve salad.
image.jpg
Side view
Side view
BillK

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Very nice. I like the added decoration. It really makes it pop. I never had any luck finding any bamboo. All of the lumber yards near me are closed on the weekend so I visited the local Rocklers and they had 1/8" maple. I'm going to go ahead and just cut them out of it and bend them but afterwards, I think that I am going to try something like yours. I really like it.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Steam bending them would work well. Cut a 2 by 6 into two parts with the curve you want, removing the 1/8 from the "kerf. Exaggerate the curves slightly to account for spring-back.

Steam the part and clamp it between the two forms. It should only take 15 minutes to cool and dry enough. I have a video on my website showing laminate bending using two forms like this: http://www.consultingwoodworker.com/skill_building

Rockler's steam bending kit works pretty well, but steaming air dried lumber works much better than kiln dried.

If you do not own a steam bender, the microwave will work for these parts. Wrap the spoon in a couple of paper towels, soak then in water and microwave on high for a couple minutes. Not sure how long it will take for these, a bit of experimentation will give you the correct time.

Ralph

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Thanks, I was going to check into the microwave technique but haven't gotten around to it. I pulled out the micrometer today and am tweaking the file right now to get it how I want it and plan on cutting them tomorrow. I was at homedepot yesterday looking for some wood....it was all warped so I passed, but on my way out they had several stacks of 1" pine that had been glued up and cut in a 17 1/2" circle for $5. I bought everyone they had without knots and am busy making plaques and table tops today. It was a great deal to already be glued up and cutout. They are turning out great and I am saving a ton of cutting time.

ruhnau

Post by ruhnau »

Here is my finshed version of the fork. For the curvature I created a 3D model in Google Sketch up, which I then exported as a .stl file which I then brought into cut 3d and machined the top and bottom. The side cutouts and the fork end were created and machined in Vcarve. I then band sawed and sanded the curves at the top and bottom.
Attachments
Fork 3d model.JPG
Fork top view.JPG