Router bits

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

acxsasx

Router bits

Post by acxsasx »

After doing a fun test project with the 90deg vbit that came with my purchase, I have been heads down learning 3d software. I have created a 3d image of a Celtic knot and have it up in the Cut3D software. So far, so good. I headed over to my not so close Rockler store and they were not able to help me with the little information I could give them on getting the bits I would need.

I purchased a 1/4" up cut, spiral bit. This would be the same as the "End Mill", correct?

It seems the Core Box Router Bits are the ones to get for "Ball Nose" entries. Any suggestions?

acxsasx

Re: Router bits

Post by acxsasx »

Did some digging around Vetric's site.

Found this link http://bitsbits.com/index.php?main_page ... Path=79_81

I think this may be the way to go.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Another good answer on this topic from a few weeks ago can be found here - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=227.

Another good source of suppliers and tool data can be found here - http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... ooling.htm

I'm starting out as well, and purchased some nice ball nose bits of various sizes for 3D relief carving from Precision Bits. Very pleased so far.

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

Joe,

*sigh* I did not see there were 2 pages all this time looking at the site. Thanks for the links.

Adam

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Adam - never feel bad for asking. I'm with you on searching diligently and not finding, then asking, then seeing the response contains one or more previous posts. This is a good forum and friendly folks, so always ask if you can't find it.

This forum is a little difficult to search in sometimes as common words get declined by the search. It'd be nice if some FAQs would be developed and posted at the top or in a convenient place so common questions like bits, table to set shark on, leveling the table, probably a few others, could be readily found by new and old hands. Perhaps Rockler will take this into consideration moving forward and implement at some point.

Merry Christmas

acxsasx

Post by acxsasx »

Merry Christmas to you as well, Joe.

I see that you are not too far (relatively) from where I am at in Roachdale, IN.

Tomorrow with my day off, I am going to focus on doing some more simple stuff until I get the bits in for the 3d work. I need to go through and get the vibration along the X axis figured out. I figure I will follow the posts a couple of others have done in making sure all is tightened down correctly.

Then will work on making up some simple signs.

cdat

Post by cdat »

Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

REG

Post by REG »

jeb2cav wrote: It'd be nice if some FAQs would be developed and posted at the top or in a convenient place so common questions like bits, table to set shark on, leveling the table, probably a few others, could be readily found by new and old hands. Perhaps Rockler will take this into consideration moving forward and implement at some point.

Merry Christmas
Forums are indeed great but not as handy as a good ole manual - sort of like a Chilton's manual to a driveway mechanic. I printed the V-Carve manual (all 150 pages of ver. 5.5). Punched the 3-ring holes in the pages and placed it in a 1.5" binder. What I do is I place blank sheets of loose leaf paper at areas I want to make notes such as toolpath adjustments (page 68 of the manual). I also keep a digital copy on my laptop but printed material gives me a "holding" spot rather than flipping between windows.
I can't rely on my memory much these days and forum search as you stated can often times produce less then informative results.

Bobby

Haltex

Post by Haltex »

I am using the V-Grove bit they last 5 X aslong and the small bits that go in them are replaceable and a lot cheaper They have guit a few bits, you can find them at Toolstoday.com and even the reguler bits are good.

Hal