Looking for a Tracer Attachment

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

buckshot

Looking for a Tracer Attachment

Post by buckshot »

Hi everyone, just joined the forum. I've been a Shark user since 2009 and this past December I upgraded to a Black Diamond. A question I have had is to know if anyone is familiar with a device either for sale or has built their own pencil tracer. What I am looking for specifically is a tracer that could be inserted in the collet that you could use to trace the program outline onto a spoil board to determine :roll: where the tape needs to be positioned to draw down a vacuum on the work piece. I would think that the device has to be spring loaded to allow for the pencil to continue to have pressure on the tip as the graphite wears down. Any response is appreciated.

milo30

Re: Looking for a Tracer Attachment

Post by milo30 »

Yes I have one. It mounts in the router, swivels and has a spring. I don't remember where I bought it but there are a few posts on it both the one I bought and some DIY models. Couldn't you just set it up to do an air cut and get that info? I want to say the tool is around 65-75.

buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Thanks for the reply milo30. I was hoping the item wasn't that much. I'll look around to see if I can find the commercial one, or maybe stick with the air cut.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Assuming that you are cutting on top of a spoil board and will be cutting through, just run the program without the part and the cut through should mark the spoil board. Apply tape inside the line and be done.

Ralph

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Google plotter pen then look at plotter pen images. There are several types that you can use, here is the one that I have. It is pretty simple and would not be hard to duplicate it with a spring, a bolt and use a piece of wood or plastic and cut it on the cnc then use a drill press to drill 2 holes, one for the bolt to go in the router and one for the pen. The pen is secure by a small set screw that holds it in place. It really doesn't need to swivel.

I got mine from Rockcliff it was $52 and just uses sharpies.
http://www.rockcliffmachine.com/product ... cnc/tv-42/
plotter pen.jpg
(3.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Bob

Post by Bob »

Hello Buckshot,
OK, I couldn't resist. I made one based upon the design that milo 30 posted. It's made in halves that are then screwed together. Holes were enlarged on the drillpress to the diameters needed. Total cost was about $5.00. It would have been cheaper if the pens had been on sale.
pen holder for router.crv
(353 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Bob
PEN HOLDER.jpg
DCP02608.JPG
Last edited by Bob on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Consultingwoodworker

The COOLEST thing about having a CNC (or a 3D printer!) is being able to quickly make custom tools and such as needed!

Nice work on the tracer!

Ralph

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Consultingwoodworker wrote:The COOLEST thing about having a CNC (or a 3D printer!) is being able to quickly make custom tools and such as needed! ... Ralph
I can't agree more, Ralph. I'll throw in that having a fairly conventional wood shop of tools also permits tool making, and did so long before there were computers much less CNCs. I teach furniture design with two other Professors. At the end of last semester we were looking at a shop full of amazing furniture projects done by the students. A few projects were clearly there thanks to what the CNC could do, but the really impressive pieces included many projects that had no CNC contribution.

I love the technology for the added usefulness it brings to my shop. It's my go-to tool when I need a simple clamp or holder or jig, but I was also making those things before I had the CNC. In fact, the tracer holder Bob made looks like something fairly easy to make with a bandsaw, drill press, and a file.

4D

Consultingwoodworker

I hear you! I was a jig and fixture maker before I began programming CNCs nearly 20 years ago. I sometimes make shop tools by hand just because I enjoy it, and can make them beautiful as well as functional.

I have also found that the CNC is a good starting point too. I often start there and finish parts of other tools.

That being said, the software has come so far that I can often make a jig, fixture or template in less time than I can even set up to make it with 'normal' woodworking tools!

Ralph