need help

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

need help

Post by milo30 »

I was cutting a large 3d file and was on the finish toolpath approx half done and it got too late. I used the pause button and wanted to resume today. I just got home and it still has the file paused but none of the buttons will work. I can't resume or go to 0.0. There is no way for me to locate the zero again as those numbers are all zeros now. I do have the line showing in the gcode.

Is it possible somehow to open edit the gcode and load it? As I am typing this I am realizing that it will probably want to start at 0.0 which it will read as where it is at rightnow so doubt that will work. Any ideas or did I just lose 4 hours of my life that I will never get back?

I am so pissed right now! They computer was set to not go in sleep mode and it didn't. Everything was powered so there was no reason for it to do that. I am pissed about the shark not having anyway to set a permanent zero that it is all that I can do not to chain the machine to the back bumper of the truck and drag it down the road!

milo30

Re: need help

Post by milo30 »

Never mind. I calmed down and figured out how to rezero. Luckily it didn't blank out the gcode. Now I just have to let it cut air for an hour before it gets back to where it crashed. The control panel wouldn't even let me close it, just kept throwing errors after errors. Still not happy but hopefully this works.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

Imho, and with my scant experience, yes, you can go into the Tap File and edit it to your hearts content. That way, you could Cut all the code before where it got stuck and pick right up where you left off. Assuming, the mechanical position of the router/bit does not change from when it locked up. You would have to walk thru your head where 0,0,0 was, is now, and where the controller expects it to be when you are done. You may have to Re-Zero and then create a Move instruction to get it back to where it shut down.

Imho, all GCode seems to me are a series of simple instructions to move the XYZ about to achieve an effect. Some do a Function, like when you perform a Pocket by making a 0.575" hole from a 0.500" bit. What I see are four instructions each doing a 90 degree swipe at it thru Geometry Quadrants I-II-III-IV.

Other instructions are very simple and easy to figure out.

The File is raw Text so Notepad would work quite well to edit it.

Oh, and remember not to Edit and Save the original File.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I tok the long way and used the position on screen to figure out where the zero was. Of course it was off but close enough that I just ran the entire program again and will have to do some work by hand to straighten it out. It was just a pair of rings therefore nothing complicated.

Having a real hard time opening the program and having it work though. I have to go through a progression of unplugging the usb, then have to use the task manager to close the file, then have to disconnect all power from the control panel, plug the usb back in and then power back on. Then click to run the program and nothing will happen, wait, then click on it again and I will get a warning that there is another instance of the control panel open and it will open the panel, I close that panel and then another panel will open and it works just fine. Sometimes when opening a new file in the control panel, it will lock up and then I repeat all the steps above to load it again.

Tonight it also will open a control panel with many more digits in the Z,X,Y area -0000.0000, 0000.0000, -0000.0000 and then start popping up non stop error boxes. When it does this, you can't close it even with the task manager. The computer must be turned off then back on to clear that one.The computer is used for nothing but the CNC, been running the same control panel version for months and no internet. The first problem has been off and on for a few weeks. The last issue just started tonight. No idea what caused this. It literally just runs the cnc. I have another laptop in the garage to create and edit files then transfer with a usb stick.

One last thing that was weird, after a cut and it returning to zero, actually that time it returned to 0.0, 0.6, I tried to jog it to change a bit. It would only run at an actual speed that would be between slow and step, regardless of what speed I had selected on the screen and did so in all axis. I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in and it started working normal again.

I'm not sure why I am getting all of these bugs at one time.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

If you've been unplugging/replugging your USB cable, it may be time to replace it. An iffy USB connection will lock up the controller as it tries to keep the PC updated all throughout a cut.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

While you CAN manually edit the G-Code, I sternly advise you to NOT do so unless you REALLY understand what you are doing.

I started programming nearly 20 years back when one had to actually write the G-Code line by line. Now the software does it for you. But even with all this, I still have to be VERY careful when manually altering G-Codes.

They are actually nothing more than text files. You can open them in Notepad, edit them, then save them with the .tap suffix.

Ralph

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

FWIW, I agree with Ralph that G-code editing should be approached cautiously.
Your g-code is like a narrative of small move instructions that depend on the ending position of the prior instruction.
If you break into the center of the chain of instructions it is east to get things messed up if you are not careful.

Perhaps NWA will contemplate adding the "Run from Here" feature to their controller software (that existed in the old Sharks like mine, running Mach3.)
(and hopefully not charging a lot for it)

Basically you highlight the line of code you want to start with, and the controller quickly analyzes the g-code file from the beginning to compute the router position at the line you wish to start at. (without actually moving the machine) Then it prompts you for an OK to move the router to that point, and then lets you begin to run from that point. It has come in handy for me quite a few times. If you have not lost your zero, or can easily re-zero the job, you can run from any point in the file.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

I also agree with both above. These things should be approached with Caution as, each Set of Instructions depends on the previous Set. As my jobs are short (less than an hour) I just start over and drill air. But six hours into an eight hour run? Hmmmm ...

I include a sample G Code of a very simple process of drilling two holes. I am not suggesting that most G Code is this simple, but, rather to become familiar with G Code just to have a better understanding of what is going on inside.

Think in -Sets- of Instructions ... Not individual ones ...

+++

(|---------------------------------------)
(| Toolpath:- 'Drill' )
(|---------------------------------------)

(Beginning Gibberish - Do Not Alter)
G90
G20
F31.2
G64 P.01
S 2000
M3

(Raise Bit To Z=0.8" )
G0 Z0.8000

(First Hole)

(At 31.2ipm GoTo X,Y and Drop Bit to 0.2")
F31.2
G00 X0.2188 Y0.5000 Z0.2000

(At 10.0ipm At Same X,Y Drill Hole to Depth of Z= -0.125")
F10.0
G1 X0.2188 Y0.5000 Z-0.1250

(At 31.2ipm At Same X,Y Raise Bit to 0.2")
F31.2
G00 X0.2188 Y0.5000 Z0.2000

(Lets Drill Another Hole)

(At 31.2ipm GoTo New X,Y and Drop Bit to 0.2")
F31.2
G00 X0.2188 Y1.2500 Z0.2000

(At 10.0ipm At Same X,Y Drill Hole to Depth of Z= -0.125")
F10.0
G1 X0.2188 Y1.2500 Z-0.1250

(At 31.2ipm At Same X,Y Raise Bit to 0.2")
F31.2
G00 X0.2188 Y1.2500 Z0.2000

(All Done, Raise Bit to 0.8")
G00 Z0.8000

(Return to X,Y = 0,0)
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000

(Turn Off Motor)
M02

+++

Note that each X,Y is given in relation to the Origin of X,Y = 0,0. Instead of each move being an X,Y increment from the last move. That makes it easier to remove/insert what you want.

Also, if I wanted to manually insert another three holes to drill, I would Copy one Set, Paste it three times and modify the X,Y (and Z) to accomplish what I want.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Some additional posts on this topic for what it's worth -

Pausing the job for a long period - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2110

Tap File Contents and Editing - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 97&p=10186

Again, I’m obliged to say that manually editing the tap file is high adventure. Mistakes and subsequent use of these mistakes can result in damage to your project, machine, and worst case shop and operator.