Where do you get ball end mills?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MovieGuy

Where do you get ball end mills?

Post by MovieGuy »

I just got my Shark Pro and have a lot of playing with it to do before I get to serious. Once I feel comfortable with it, I want to try lithophanes. So far I can't find 1/4" shank ball end mills smaller than an 1/8" ball. Any ideas where to get them?

spinningwood

Re: Where do you get ball end mills?

Post by spinningwood »

Get a 1/8" collet for the router and you will have a lot more choices in small bits. I got mine at precisebits dot com

Enco sells ball end mill down to 1/32" with 1/8" shanks for a pretty decent price on sale. I bought some for hogging out in tough wood so I wouldn't wear out my expensive bits. I've been pretty impressed with them and find they do just as good a job as the more expensive bits I've bought elsewhere.

Precisebits sells ball nose down to 0.006". There bits are a little pricier. Good quality, but pricey. You might want to learn with cheaper bits before stepping up to real expensive bits.

Ed McDonnell

MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy »

Thanks! I was looking for an 1/8" collet for the Bosch Colt router, but hadn't found one yet. I had noticed there were a lot more bits with the 1/8" shank.

karincorbin

Post by karincorbin »

You can purchase 1/8" collet reducers from Bosch, the part number to search for is "Bosch 92821".

But I especially like the ones sold by Stewart MacDonald for precision luthier work, they are nicely machined. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Speci ... ollet.html

MovieGuy

Post by MovieGuy »

Thanks for all the help!

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

If you are looking for 1/8 inch bits I would suggest Freud bits

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-18-100-8-In ... B00004T7DB
we have used this one quite a bit for routing 3d models.

Platterivershark

Post by Platterivershark »

I saw the post to precisebits.com. I have purchased collets and bits from them, and I like the idea that they 100% guarantee your satisfaction. No questions asked. Check out the new four flue round end bits and the carving bits. I use them all the time and really like the finish on hard woods.