monitoringpost

Re: Shark Pro Plus for sale

Post by monitoringpost »

DRMRDR wrote: $6500.00 camaster 25'X36"X6"
2.25 hp router Included
touch plate Included
software Included
Metal welded frame
The Router Spindle On/off, T-Slot Table , Pendant Control and 7" Gantry are extra. I'm pretty sure the only software included is the controller not Vectrics. We're now at around twice the cost if you add in Vectric V-Carve Pro + Cut 3D! There is a Stinger 1 posted for sale on the Camaster forum without Recoil or Vectric Software and new price is quoted at $8,800.00. Add in the Recoil and Vectric in were now over $10K. I'm just quoting the facts. I'm not disputing that you may have a problem. I really do hope you get things worked out.

You're still well within the warranty period of a year. That's what warranties are for - ship it back for repair it if you think there's a defect.

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

My quote from camaster is for a stinger 1 and is a lot less than what you are coming up with. Also my pro plus is well past the warrenty period. (3 years) So that is not a option. Did you miss the part where tech support says no one else has this problem so it must be my problem.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

monitoringpost wrote:
The Router Spindle On/off, T-Slot Table , Pendant Control and 7" Gantry are extra. I'm pretty sure the only software included is the controller not Vectrics. We're now at around twice the cost if you add in Vectric V-Carve Pro + Cut 3D! There is a Stinger 1 posted for sale on the Camaster forum without Recoil or Vectric Software and new price is quoted at $8,800.00. Add in the Recoil and Vectric in were now over $10K. I'm just quoting the facts. I'm not disputing that you may have a problem. I really do hope you get things worked out.

You're still well within the warranty period of a year. That's what warranties are for - ship it back for repair it if you think there's a defect.
That doesn't make sense to compare optional equipment and use that to compare prices. My shark came with none of those options. Nor did it include the computer, monitor, live tech support connecting to my computer to assist me in starting the machine up, etc. Not to mention there is a size difference and the Recoil option is still a fantasy wish for the shark.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

DRMRDR

The problem shown in your video is typical of the rod flex that occurs in ALL of the large non HD sharks. It is unavoidable and built into every one. If you look at older posts on this forum , you can find a good deal of discussions and measurements on this issue. Perhaps NWA support is misunderstanding your issue as they should certainly be aware of the rod flex in the non HD models.

When the improved HD came out, the solution was to sell your machine and buy a new one if you could not live with the flex. My conversion predates the HD, so I did not have the HD option then. At that time there was much less competition in the small machine market. Now there are several all metal machines out there in the under 6000 price range. Many of these did not exist 5 years ago.
With past lessons learned, if I had to do again in todays market, my applications point me to a stronger machine.

Regarding your machine movement, there is free-play and flex to deal with. Your video seems to show mostly all flex. Freeplay would be characterized as movement at the center point with almost no force required. This happens if the bearings are too loose. I believe newer models may have adjustable bearings to help with this. Flex is the increasing unwanted movement that you get as you increase the force on the router bit.

Due to the geometry involved, the non HD machine flexes much more in the y direction than in the x direction. That makes it tough to cut perfectly round circles etc. I needed to cut gears, so I had to change the machine or get rid of it. I chose to upgrade it, and with lessons learned from that, build bigger stronger machines.

I am glad that many users like the new controller and interface. I stayed with Mach3 ( that came with the older Sharks) and would not choose to switch. A interface with fewer features and options can be thought of as simple to use, and a more featured system will take more time to learn as you start using the extra features. Personally, I don't find Mach3 hard to use at all, and I really use some of its features not available yet on the new Shark controller.

A first CNC purchase can be tough in that the new user has little experience to draw on when making decisions. The new Stinger I would be on my short list as well, if looking for a factory built machine. It is hard to compare that machine to a Shark as there are so many differences. The Stinger is a larger machine as well as being all metal with more expensive mechanical parts all around. It really comes down to what your needs are. There is no free lunch, unfortunately.

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

DRMRDR, just to be precise, if you are referring to me offering to call and not doing it, re-read my post. I invited you to PM me and we could set up a time to talk. I actually did hear from another member of the forum based on my offer here and we did talk for nearly an hour and a half, and I helped him quite a lot.

I also note that the real flexing issues are with certain models. It seems to me (and I am no expert on the details of each model) that as the bed size increases, so did the flex issues until a different system was adopted by NWA to address it.

My Shark is an early one. It has essentially a 22" square working envelope. While there is flex, it is not an issue and easily manageable. But it stands to reason that simply extending the steel rods that the bridge rides on without any other change would increase the flexing quite a lot.

Ralph

Consultingwoodworker

I will also point out that a LOT of this discussion was prompted by your post :"I see these machines have no value".

Mine has paid for itself many times over in actual billable work not including the value it has as a support for my own projects, so that is why I initially commented. You made a blanket statement that is demonstrably untrue.

Ralph

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

Ralph.
Don't want to get into it with you because it was a nice honest heart felt offer. But check your PM because you did set a time to call and you never did. You seem to be taking this too personal. I am glad you are willing to help people. You say your machine has paid for itself but you don't have the same machine as I do nor do you have the same problems. Yes I made A blanket statement and that was incorrect. Some have said this forum is not the place to advertise because everyone has one. Well if everyone likes there shark it is a great place to advertise because everyone will recommend one to there friends. If my blanket comment is the issue I stand corrected.
I have learned a lot from everyones comments and one of the things I have learned is I am not alone with the problem I have with a shark pro plus.
I have learned tech support is no help with the older machines.
I have learned the flex is such a problem that Rockler is taking back HD models and refunding purchase price.
I have learned how to rebuild my shark to make it a better machine.
I have learned not everybody has the same machine problems I do.
Dave

Consultingwoodworker

Just to insure everyone is on the up and up: I do owe you a bit of an apology. We DID PM, and set a time but I also spoke with another member at the same time and I believe that I got the two of you confused. For that I am sorry.

I am not really taking this personally, and I have no vested interest in defending the Shark. Frankly, a ShopBot with the Shark control panel would be about ideal in my book.

I do hope you find the right machine for your needs, and I leave my offer on the table. You have my email address, if you ever want to pick my brain, you are welcome to get in touch. I have a wealth of knowledge about creating fixtures for CNCs that may well be of use to you.

Ralph

DRMRDR

Post by DRMRDR »

Ralph
I just figured something came up and you couldn't make the call. Sooner or later I knew we would connect. I still plan on taking you up on your offer.
I also agree the shark has the easiest control panel to use. I am not sure what I will do yet about a machine I just know the flex in my machine seems to get worse each year and with that comes more fustration.
Dave

Consultingwoodworker

Hmmm, the fact that the flex is INCREASING is interesting. It should not be unless something is loose, cracked or broken.

Let's say for argument that your Shark were built properly and that the excessive flex was due to poor design. In that case, the flex should remain constant and even be predictable. If you knew for example, that due to flexing a hole programmed round would actually cut say 10% elliptical, you could actually draw the circle elliptical along the OTHER axis and come up with a round hole. Not ideal, and I and NOT suggesting this as a method of work, but an example.

In your case, you say the flex is getting worse over time. The ONLY way I can see that happening is a bolt or bolts coming loose, a crack in some part spreading as it flexes, or some sort of loose mount that is wearing with use.

You seem to be on the ball and have probably looked for one of these issues, but it can be hard to find without a known good machine to compare as a baseline.