XP Upgrade

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Ausworkshop

XP Upgrade

Post by Ausworkshop »

OK, I came here trying to see what others are doing about XP no longer being supported as of today. I've found no one talking about it to my surprise. Am I the only one still using XP with my shark? I'm dreading the move, my machines been working great for years and I even have a spare desktop with my software all set up ready to swap if needed and now they will both be useless, seems such a waste.

Will I have any problems upgrading the Shark to Win8? I'm going to bite the bullet and go and buy a whole new pc with Win8 but I'm hoping it won't take too long as I really don't have time to fiddle around with my pc for a day at the moment. I'm not even sure where my password or info is that I will probably need for Nextwave. I guess I will need to download a win8 version of the software. I'm still using the original shark and controller. I'm hoping this will work with win8. I don't wanna spend money on a new pc only to find my old controller box won't work with it. Maybe I should just get a laptop instead. I like my slide out keyboard and my monitor is mounted on a bracket above the machine, a laptop seems it will take up much needed bench space, I guess i could use my keyboard and mouse with it but I dunno. Too many decisions!

Any advice would be appreciated. I hate tech stuff. I'm a woodworker.
“It’s not that I’m so smart,
it’s just that I stay with problems longer.“
Albert Einstein

McBuster

Re: XP Upgrade

Post by McBuster »

What this means, is that XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) will not be improved beyond SP3 which has been around for some time now.

What Microsoft -is- dropping, is any Security Patches. That means a crafty bad guy could wreak havoc with a virus etc, and no one will respond with a preventative patch to Windows.

I run XP Pro SP3 and will for as long as I can. It works. I own it. It is fast. And if it isn't broken, why fix it.

Viruses and Trojans etc, usually infect a computer's operating system thru opening an eMail or some form of document. A while back, I had a virus that came in on a Word Document macro. I took it apart just to see how it worked. It was extremely stealthy and clever. Was just a nuisance and did not destroy anything.

I use an old Dell Box to power my HD. If, it is standalone, or networked, if all you do is run the Control Panel etc, the risk of a Virus is almost non-existent. I have a Server in the basement for backup. It has been on continuously since 2001. Not one Virus has infected it. On three other XP boxes under my roof, not one has ever had a virus.

If your XP worked today, it will work just as effectively tomorrow and the next day. Just be careful and wise to programs installed, eMails opened, Documents opened ...

Why upgrade?
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

I'm using a little Dell box too, GX520 and I have another little GX620 I keep as a spare. I agree its fast and works well. I have Win7 in the house and it frustrates the hell out of me. I would rather stick with what I know for now but I have been getting pop ups telling me its no longer supported etc. I am connected to the network and use it to check my bank balance out in the workshop so I can see which customers have paid and make my list of jobs for the shark. It seems with Win7 every step I do takes 3 or 4 steps longer just to do the same task, I can work Outlook and do emails much faster on my XP machine.

I hate to upgrade if I don't have to, I'm running Avast virus protection and if I have to do any banking or PayPal payments I guess I will use the pc in the house. Hopefully checking my balance in the workshop on XP will be ok though. I bought this little pc for under $200 on ebay, its an ex government computer I think and its the best machine Ive ever had for what I do. I've spent 12 times that for two pcs in the house over the past few years and haven't been impressed at all with the increased speed in fact most tasks take me longer on them. Why do they upgrade all this crap only to make them more complicated and slow? Despite having a really high speed processor and more memory the newer operating systems then seems to slow it all down.

If I do eventually upgrade though will it be relatively easy to run an old shark on win8 or am I going to hit a heap of problems?
Albert Einstein

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I can't speak to Win 8, but Win 7 has been VERY reliable for me both in general and with VCarve and the Shark Control board.

I do have a little experience with Win 8. I can tell you it sucks on a non-touch screen system. Both my daughters have it on their standard laptops. We bought my wife a new laptop recently. It has 8 with a touch screen. It is easier to work with on this system since 8 was really designed for touch. But there is a pretty big curve getting used to the completely new interface.

You CAN still order laptops (and probably desktops) with Win 7.

The big advantage to Win 8 is that I use an iPad extensively, and do often find myself trying to control my non-touchscreen laptop with my finger! Lol

Ralph

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

If you do go with Windows 8, you'll have no problems with any of Vetrics software, and your CNC should operate just fine. That being said, and their are those weird ones out there that like 8, but, believe me, it sucks big time. If I could find a good Vista or XP machine, I'd chunk my two Windows 8 laptops in the trash, after stomping them to tiny pieces! Just my opinion.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

If your PopUps reference Internet Explorer being out of date, they do have a version for XP that works well for me. v8.0

If, that does not do it, my solution was to also use Google Chrome. That is always up to date.

Me? I intend to use XP for at least another five years. And I also intend to leave the NWA and Vectrics stuff alone unless it offers me a distinct advantage top upgrade. And NWA v2.0 is not it (for me). 1.5 is good enough and works great (for me).
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn

milo30

Post by milo30 »

If it is just a cnc computer why bother. Just keep XP until nwa comes out with software not compatible with it.

If you do go win 8, you can make it look and operate like XP so it will lessen the learning curve

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Personally, I believe that machine tools should have their own dedicated pcs. Saves a lot of headaches in the long run.

The cnc pc does not need a powerful or expensive computer. That pc should not have anything but the essential applications to run the machine, and if networked, it should not be used to access the internet. Design and G-code can be done on the cnc pc or on any other pc that can be located in more comfortable quarters. I set up shared folders on the cnc pc's and push the files to them from my main workstation over the local network.

The advantage to this is that the cnc machine is not affected by any changes you make to your other personal machine, and is always available to run the cnc. The hard drive on the cnc pc is then a good backup for your g-code files, if you generate them on another pc. Your other personal pc can then be used for everything else, including design and g-code. If you mess up our personal pc with new software etc, the cnc pc just keeps working, and all your existing jobs are on it to be run whenever needed.

So if you feel you want to buy a new pc just because of XP support being discontinued, just dedicate your xp machine to your cnc and get yourself a new windows 7 or 8 machine for your main pc.

Ausworkshop

Post by Ausworkshop »

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. I do have a pc running Win7 in the house but hardly use it because I'm out in the workshop all day. My partner also has a new laptop running Win8 and I don't like it at all.

I understand about having a dedicated machine for the cnc but if I do that and never connect to the internet anymore then I will have to have a separate pc just for the stuff I do on the net out in the workshop. Would mean I have to find the room for a separate pc and my workshop is too small, plus then I would have two computers running all day when at the moment I just use the one for everything.

I guess I'll just keep using it with fingers crossed I won't get any security issues. I'm using Firefox and Avast virus protection. Never had any problems multitasking while the cnc is running, sometimes I have Vcarve open, Outlook for my emails, radio streaming, and watching a video tip all at the same time! Never had any problem with running the code while I do all this. I think that the machine controller is running straight from the sd card by that stage anyway and doesn't really need the pc processor to run the machine code once its gone to the controller and the job is running. I could be wrong but either way I've never had any headaches with using one machine, keyboard monitor and mouse for everything. I wouldn't wanna double up everything on my bench just so i could surf the net safely.
Albert Einstein

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

A thought ...

Once, I located the Big Box over in a corner, and purchased extension cables for keyboard, mouse and monitor. One can pick up an old Dell for $25-50 on Craigslist, monitors and stuff for even less and like RungeMach, run dedicated. as do I. One does not need to Power Cycle the Big Box very often throughout the day.

These jobs are too long and material sometimes expensive, so why risk any issues doing all the extra things you mention? And, if a network connection is not available, use a USB stick/drive to do the SneakerNetShuffle. Then, the risk of a virus etc on your creaky old XP box is zero.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn