Problem cutting 3d

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

Problem cutting 3d

Post by milo30 »

I have a file that I purchased from one of the 3d companies. It is the dished version and is being cut on a 17 1/2" X 1" circular piece of wood. I set the workpiece up as 14" because I want something around the border later and used the center to zero. I generated the rough and final cuts, I have redone the file twice and keep getting the same issue.

I zero the wood at center and when I hit run, the bit moves all the way off of the material to start cutting. The control panel states that it is 7.25" from the zero but a tape measure shows it is over 9" away. When I send it back to zero, it returns to the correct location. I can manually jog the router to 7.25 and it is well within the borders of my material as it should be and avoiding my clamps. I've also check to make sure that I am using the shark PP.

Why would the control panel be reading the measurement incorrectly. It isn't a binding or slipping issue as it is able to repeatedly go back to the correct zero location. I have unplugged and reset everything several time and it is always the same. I just finished vcarving a project earlier and it was working fine.

Here is one of the toolpaths if someone wants to look at it and see if they see anything wrong. I haven't used cut3d but a few times and don't know it well. My initial thought is that I do not have something set correctly but the reading in the control panel is making me think differently.
Attachments
Roughing Toolpath 2- Top.tap
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 158 times

milo30

Re: Problem cutting 3d

Post by milo30 »

Got it figured out. It was in the material size and margins. I didn't click on fit to material.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Problem cutting 3d

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

I was just about to suggest that.

Better to figure it out yourself, you will remember it better next time.

Ralph