Rolling Pins made on the Shark

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lsvien

Rolling Pins made on the Shark

Post by lsvien »

Here are some rolling pins I made using my original Shark. I wanted to make a Heritage piece of the corrugated rolling pins for my daughters and friends. These are based on a rolling pin my wife has that goes back to her great grandma and is used for making traditional Norwegian lefse. I don't have a lathe and even if I did I probably couldn't have made the handles the same each time or have the grooves spaced evenly enough. The turning jig came from an idea I saw on Youtube of turning a cylinder using a router. The headstock and tailstock components came out of Shopnotes issue 73. The motor was an old corded 3/8" vs Craftsman drill I had laying around.

Turning the cylinder I used a straight bit to rough out the shape and then used a core box to finish. I just manually ran the router up and down, back and forth using the jog buttons on the controller. For the corrugated ones I used a 90 degree v-bit to finish. In VCP I created 64 evenly spaced lines .5" long with the end of the line perpendicular to the centerline of the axis. I used a profile toolpath .1" deep. So as the cylinder turned the bit would come in from the side, stopping at the peak of the axis. I edited the toolpath and inserted a 10 second pause while I turned the cylinder before moving to the next line. The gcode for a 10 second pause is G04 p10. I used the high tech hand crank because the peak of the corrugations had a tendency to chip if turned too quickly. My drill did not have the oomph to turn against the router bit at low speeds and when I speeded up the revolutions they would chip. I wasn't going to make enough to warrant buying a low speed high torque motor. Sometime manual is good enough.

The handles were a nice confluence of the lathe project and Paul Rowntree's FlutePlus. I created the profile and then used an array of 6 lines from the center of the blank to the edge. I did this because the first roughing pass is pretty violent with the corners of the blank slamming into the router bit. I had the rotations pretty fast with the drill and slowed the toolpath down as much as I could.

Wood is local hard maple so there is some discoloration in the wood. I call it character ;-) The smooth ones are cherry. I had trouble with the cherry holding the corrugations and seemed to want to chip too easily so I just gave up on the cherry and made them smooth.

While definitely not 4th axis it does give me additional capacity that seems to work well with minimal expense. Now that I have the jig I can see doing a lot more of turning type projects on the Shark.
Attachments
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

lsvien

Re: Rolling Pins made on the Shark

Post by lsvien »

Additional shots of the handles.
Attachments
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG

baby15

Post by baby15 »

lsvien wrote:Additional shots of the handles.
great job

Bob

Post by Bob »

Isvien
That looks like a pretty nifty 4th axis to me!
Nice job on development, and really nice rolling pins.
I guess I should get to work now, since my wife will be wanting one of these.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

drueth

Post by drueth »

Isvien

Just about the time I believe I have seen everything you can do with the shark somebody come along and hits the ball out of the park. The rolling pins look great and the idea about how you did this is a keeper for me. Thanks for the post.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

Thinking outside the box! Great idea and execution. Is there anyway of posting a video the next time you use it? I'd like to see it in action.
Rick