shark pro router clamp

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

milo30

shark pro router clamp

Post by milo30 »

My clamp is about to break and I need a new one. I want an aluminum clamp and contacted Dixie Billet about one but he doesn't have one for the shark pro. I was suppose to take mine off and ship it to him so he could use it to make one but I've been busy and haven't been able to stop using the machine. I know a couple have made their own. I was wondering if anyone had the file that they would be willing to share so I could make me one out of oak to use while mine is shipped off to Dixie Billet to use as a template. I am backed up on orders right now and really can't afford to have down time with the machine right now. I could pull mine off for measurements to make a file but want to cut it on the cnc and am afraid that if I remove it, what's left of the plastic holding it together will snap off and then I won't be able to use the cnc to make a new one.

rungemach

Re: shark pro router clamp

Post by rungemach »

It sounds like you will be addressing this problem soon, whether you want to or not.
Best to do it on your terms, not the machines..

I threw my old z axis parts away when I rebuilt my old shark pro as they were so badly skewed.

Can you get the approximate outside measurements of the clamp?
This should not be hard to draw up if you do not worry about the bolt locations, and use the holes in the machine to mark / drill them when a wooden clamp is put in.

Did you try and call NWA regarding a replacement, I have heard they have sent these out at no charge from time to time. Seeing that the clamping issue is a well known one.

I have a clamp drawing for the HD . but not the small machines. I can make a drawing for you easily, If I know the outside clamp dimensions (width, length without tab, and length with the tightening tab) and the intended router.

Bob

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Thanks for the offer. Drawing it up won't be that hard, I mainly needed the location and size of the router hole for the colt. I was using it today and the router is now slipping very badly so on my next day off I am going to carefully remove it, measure and then see if it will reassemble to cut the temporary clamp. If it breaks, I'll just do it the old fashion way. I was just thinking as I was typing this response, I have the dustboot hanging somewhere so that will give me the rough measurement that I need to make a file.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Milo30

I will pm a dxf file to you for what I think is the mount for a colt on a pro.
Please give it a look over let me know what needs to be changed.
I changed my z axis and router mount system early on, so I never made one.
I don't want to publish it until it know it is correct.

I also came across one of my old colt aluminum clamps that can probably fit in your machine. it does not have the 4 mounting holes drilled.
It's yours if you want it. just pm your address..

Bob

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

To help close out this thread, I made an aluminum clamp for Milo30 to try. Then, using his broken clamp as a reference, I drew up a slightly modified design and made a dxf file for the shape. I also made a lower 1/8" plate with a slightly larger center hole to help sandwich the plastic shark z axis horizontal plate between two pieces of aluminum, the aluminum clamp above and 1/8 inch plate below.

I felt the lower plate might be necessary as Milo30 reported that his z axis plate was also beginning to crack. Using the lower aluminum plate with the aluminum upper clamp should transfer the forces away from the fragile parts of the stock shark z axis plate.

I sent the latest version dxf file to Sam at Dixie Billet, and he may be making the aluminum router clamp for the Colt if there is any interest.

The DXF file is attached for non-comercial use.
Attachments
Clamp and lower plate
Clamp and lower plate
shark pro colt mount r3.dxf
dxf file of mount for Colt
(20.9 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
old and new aluminum clamps
old and new aluminum clamps

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I should have updated this thread but have been busy and forgot. Rungemach, did a great job on the clamp. The router mounts easier than the original and it holds great. I occasionally had rotation when trying to loosen or tighten the bit. Now It doesn't budge. I did not know that I was getting a crack in the z axis plate until I had removed the original clamp. It was at one of the nuts slots on the plate itself. I sanded the cracked area flat (the crack had made a bulge which wouldn't allow the router clamp to fit completely flat) then put the aluminum plate underneath, sandwiching it. Now the clamp is working flawlessly. The machine actually cuts better now and I have been able to increase the speed a little.

I would also like to thank Rungemach for all of the work he did to make this file for me and posting it for other users. This wasn't a file that he had on hand because he had needed the part himself. He did it solely for the benefit of other shark owners so that they could improve their machines on a known weak point. He did this using not only his own time but also made me an aluminum clamp so that the file could be tested for fit before providing the file to the rest of the forum and Dixie Billet, and would not take any money for it.

Rungemach is a great example of what makes this forum great with owners helping other owners. I just hope one day I can repay the favor and pay it forward in helping another member. If there was a forum member of the year, I'd nominate Rungemach!

Thanks.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Right on!!!
Milo, what a nice thank you note. Very thoughtful...
I just had to chime in with a thought...This by far, is the best group of people I have been involved with. I have been in Milo's shoes myself with problems and all it took was asking.....To all I send my thanks!!!
Thanks,
Dash

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I noticed today that the clamp on the HD 2.0 we have in the college shop has cracked/split/failed. Time for an aluminum replacement as well. Think I'll take a hard look at the Z mount assembly and see if there isn't a much better way to mount a router securely. The HDPE plastic original sure wasn't the best idea I've seen. For that matter, the plastic gantry back plate was a bad idea as well. We had to stiffen it with 2x2 angle iron to take out the deflection. I'd love to see the whole gantry redone with aluminum plate and re-engineered to resist the actual forces that happen during a cut.

zac

Post by zac »

Just another thought on this router clamp issue.
Would it be possible / feasible to incorporate small "jacking" grub screws between the router clamp and the Z platform to aid in aligning the router to be perpendicular to the table?
Wayne

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

zac wrote:Just another thought on this router clamp issue.
Would it be possible / feasible to incorporate small "jacking" grub screws between the router clamp and the Z platform to aid in aligning the router to be perpendicular to the table?
Wayne
Not a bad idea, Zac. The current plastic design may not be the best for implementing it though. The base already has a large hole for the router as well as the 4 holes for the bolts holding down the clamp. Not much extra room in there for more screws. The plastic may not be sufficient to resist the lift. Replace the whole thing (bottom and clamp) with aluminum plate and it shouldn't be too hard.

The back plate of the gantry needs to be addressed first though as the cantilever weight of the router in front easily deflects it causing all of the out-of-plumb front-to-back.