shark hd router

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

warriorhawk

shark hd router

Post by warriorhawk »

After doing some research I believe I'm going with the shark hd. Anyone have any suggestions for the router? The routers are bosch 1617 and 1618
•Porter Cable 890 Series
•Porter Cable 690 Series (6902VS must be manually started)
•DeWalt 610, 616, 618

tonydude

Re: shark hd router

Post by tonydude »

I have the porter cable model 892 which uses 1/4" or 1/2" router bits. Had my router for about a year now works great.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

I agree with the 892. I have 3, one for a back up and one for the router table. It's a great router.
Rick

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

The PC 892 suffers from a crappy collet lock pin design. We've gone through two and the lock pin eventually bends to the point it won't spring out. We've abandoned using it and gone back to two wrenches. There was also a recall for some series of that model which you might check against. I'm trying a Dewalt (which will fit in the same clamp) next.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

The recall was back in January 24, 2006
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

I've had good success with the PC 892 router- no issues with the collet.

Brad & Laura

Post by Brad & Laura »

I've had the Bosch 1617 for at least 10 years in my router table so I went with the same one in my new HD 2.0. The router works great as expected. I also had success with the smaller Shark while deployed in Afghanistan with the Colt and the little guy worked like a champ. I'm sure the others will be fine too but I'm just using what has been reliable to me.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

They'll all work great, just don't run any at full speed or you'll become proficient at replacing bearings. Wood working routers aren't designed to run for hours at a time. I burned up three routers my first year with my shark, then lowered the speed about a third, been doing fine ever since.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Here's a great thread on routers. Should be a "must read" for anyone getting into this.
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ngs#p12300
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver