New Member/lots of questions

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

osbanj

New Member/lots of questions

Post by osbanj »

I have just retired from 24 years in the Air Force. I started a business about 4 years ago building flag cases, military coin holders and retirement displays. Right now i pay a different company to laser engrave names, dates of service, squadron patches and such on the wood, but now that i am retired and have a little more time for my woodworking (and not watching over 121 troops) i am looking at getting a CNC machine do be able to do this myslef and then progress to bigger and better things. I believe in reading post about all the different machines (in my price range) and have decided the shark is best for me. fits the budget and lack of problems i can find about the machine. So i am needing as much info as possible on this. i see all kinds of great products people have made but wouldnt know where to start in what type of bits needed to start out simple and then go complex. I am somewhat computer smart and have worked in corel draw for the laser engraver and have tons of lay-outs for that so would it be comptable with the software for the shark. should i stick with the shark, or wait a few more months where i can afford the pro. any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks James you can email me directly at james@osbanswoodworks.com.

Consultingwoodworker

Re: New Member/lots of questions

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

The pro certainly gives you more size capability than the basic shark. Operationally, all three versions work the same, so no issues there.

Design and letter engraving is excellent and very easy to layout and program.

Your designs will not have the dark burn toning that lasers give, but I have had excellent results spray painting engravings then sanding back the fac to leave colored letters.

When you get your machine in, stick around this forum, there is a lot of great help and advice here.

Ralph

osbanj

Post by osbanj »

Most of the laser engraving is not uniformed anyway, i have started spraying them with a dark stain to even out the engraving so spraying them to show the letters is not new to me. but i really like the fact i can get deeper letters in the wood with the CNC though.

fison

Post by fison »

James,

As far as bits go, I mostly use 60 and 90 degree V-bits for lettering. For what you've described at 60 degree would probably be best. It can do pretty good detail. I also do Military style desk signs with coin inserts. If you want to do this type of stuff you'll need a milling bit. I mostly use a 1/4" but sometimes have to use 1/8". These cut flat bottom insets for coins, rank, units insignias, etc.

There are some samples on my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... 7d61cf8371

And by the way, thank you for your service to our country.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

cdat

Post by cdat »

Recently retired Army here, get the pro. Heck, I'm ready to order a second machine with a bigger deck/table due to the amount of work coming in. I can't keep up.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

peg_legs

Post by peg_legs »

Retired 32 years Navy, thought I would kick back and take it easy... wrong!
Can't sit still, have to do something. When I retired (15 years ago) one of my
sons came to me and wanted my help getting into the sign business. Both of
us are good with computers and I have been working in wood for years. So
we jumped into business and it's been OK and getting bigger, we now do a
lot of work for the military. Most of my work was freehand signs in wood,
plastic and other sign materials. I got my Shark Pro about 5 months ago and
am glad I did, it's helped me turn a lot of freehand stuff into CNC work and
gives me time to do the many other things I need.
SO...
Get the Shark Pro, download VCarve Pro and start working with it now, that
will save you a lot of time when you get your Shark. When you get your Shark
take a week or tow and do different samples of fonts with different bit types
from V-carve 60 / 90 degree to ball nose bits in many different sizes. A trick
I picked up on was using different bits to cut the same letters. Like, V-carve
on the out side of the letter and ball nose on the inside, gives a different look.

Don't know if I helped in any way... But keep asking questions, that's the only
way to get answers...
Mike