Simple Cuts for You all...

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Dash

Re: Simple Cuts for You all...

Post by Dash »

Well.....
Yall think I am nuts......
I tried an old file and the one I just sent yall.....I get the same result...No toolpath generated. I closed all open v carve programs and started the program again and imported the file I posted here and I get the same result.
On another note, I do not know how to post a pic of the toolpath or the parameters so yall can see it like Dan and Karen has on this topic...

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Dash,

There was no toolpath in the file you posted, so not sure what toolpath you're trying to use when it 'fails', let alone the settings.

To create a screen grab, for most windows system you can use the <shift> Print Screen button. Then open up a photo editor program - like Paint - and then <CTRL> V to paste that screen grab into the photo editing program. You can then save that as a jpg file.

I've attached your VCarve file with 2 toolpaths - one has tabs to hold the cutouts in place. I do understand your description of the 'back' of the vector. I went ahead and selected that vector, went into the node editing mode (shortcut key 'n' to turn this on/off), and hovered the mouse over the 'corner' vertices, right clicked and selected 'Cut'. Did that on the 2 corners of course.

If you click on the vector in the project, you'll now find there are 2 vectors - the 'front' and the 'back'. I only used the 'front' vector in the toolpath.

Hopefully this will help you get past this.
Attachments
Castle_Soft_Rack w tabs.crv
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 194 times

Dash

Post by Dash »

Hey, Jeb....
Thanks for the lessons on screen attaching...Will be used, Im sure, frequently. I will try the file in a bit. I really don't expect anyone to fix my issues; I appreciate all the help!! This one ........IDK. If it were to be evening time and I was dealing with this......Whew.

Oh yea....A really nice Gentleman taught me a few things about node editing a couple weeks back. Because of that lesson, I knew how to delete the unwanted vectors and on the sides, I used the same method to make curves in the sides instead of having all straight lines. Very powerful and useful tool. Even for a rookie!!! Gonna have to Really thank that man sometime real soon..... ;)
Will be back later to let yall know progress...
Dash

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

I also opened your file and did a simple profile outside/right with a .25 endmill.
In the 3D view I double clicked the cutouts to delete them from the preview so you see this.
gun rack2.jpg
I don't know why it won't generate a toolpath for you though.

Also, you can save previews like this:
preview image.JPG
That saves the preview on your screen as a .jpg

Alternately, Windows has something called Snipping Tool (you might have to search for it) and it lets you draw a box around what you want as a photo.
I have a sub folder in VCP called "snips" and save all my previews in there.
Karen

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Dash, I hope I understand what your referring to, just cutting the side with the U's on it, and not waste time for the bit to travel around the other side of the material being cut. I redid your file, going to node edit, click on each end, right click, and select "cut vector". I then profile cut the side with the U's. running a preview very slowly, you can see that the animated bit only travels on the side with the U's, not the other side. Works for me anyways, so look at the attached file and see if its what your trying to do. Keith
Attachments
Castle_Soft_Rack.crv
(645 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

KarenW

Post by KarenW »

lol
Now I get it... "nodes on the backside" meaning a single line vector rather than a square.
duh
:lol:
Karen

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

That was my take on it Karen. Hope we were right.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

Dash

Post by Dash »

Good Morning all!!!!
My apologies for not following up yesterday evening....Exhaustion finally took over. And I still didn't shut down til 8. Nice problem to have!
Well, I found a larger piece and just cut the whole thing out. Front and back...Yes, Keith and Karen. I just wanted the front cut.... I am going to restart Vcarve and redo the whole thing to see where my problem is. I did this twice yesterday...IJDK......
It was a very productive day for me, though. I'll brag just a little: With this little job, I learned to tile and a little bit of the node editing. All of you know when a light bulb goes off, it all makes sense!
I will always be amazed at how helpful you people are. Have a small problem and you are trying cuts and advising on how to solve the problem. I sincerely thank you all!

Thanks,
Dash

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Dash, did you check out the revision I did of your file? You didn't have to do the whole thing. Doesn't matter at this point since you went ahead and carved the whole thing, but might help in the future. Keith

Dash

Post by Dash »

Another beautiful hot day in West Texas....
Wrote a reply to all you good people and looked at my puter screen. Still had that gun rack file open...Hhhmmmmmm....By the way, I have two laptops. One for home/shop and one for work....Anyway, what the heck..Ran the program and produced a TOOLPATH!!!!!! All I could do is laugh.....

Dash