drawing software ?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Troy

drawing software ?

Post by Troy »

Hello folks
im looking for a answer im buying the shark pro hd next week do I need a cad program to design scroll work or does the software that comes with it allow you to create? And if not what is agood user friendly software out there

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: drawing software ?

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Troy - for myself VCarve Pro (which comes with the Shark) has been more than enough for all of my 2D tasks. I'm sure others may chime in with their experience and thoughts. The good news is that VCarve supports several different vector file formats when importing as well. You don't have to wait for your Shark to arrive. You can download a fully functioning version of VCarve Pro as a trial from www.vectric.com - and start working your way through the tutorials (I highly recommend you spend the time to do this - worth every minute of investment).

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Vcarve is nice, but if you want to unlock the full potential of your Shark Aspire (another Vectric product) is hard to beat. If money is no object then I'd look in to ArtCAM by DelCAM although last time I checked it was $8000.00 for a single use license.

There is a wide assortment of programs available, all have a learning curve and price will vary greatly..

Here's a article on CAM comparison.. http://blog.cnccookbook.com/2010/12/17/ ... ge-survey/

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Mike - have you found any difference though for 2D work in the toolset between Aspire and VCarve? Aspire brings in the 3D aspect of course and while I don't disagree with your comment, with regard to scroll work, I'm not aware of any cad like drawing/rendering tools between VCarve or Aspire. Not quibbling, a good chance I missed something here and looking to learn what it is.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Vcarve and Aspire are both world class products and I think you would be hard put to do better even at much higer prices.
Vcarve will do most anything in the 2 or 2.5 cut world. And if you can't afford an upgrade to Aspire, the cut 3d is the answer. Go visit Vectric's web site and down load the software and play all you want before buying. Look at hte gallery and see what has been done. I not sure in 5 years I ever meet any body who didn't love the software.

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

Jeb, I was using Aspire long before I got a copy of VCarve with my Shark. I looked a VCarve and didn't see any advantage to installing it as I rarely do any v-carving . I know that there is a drastic learning curve between the two, but there's a big difference between Vector carvings and 3D. As for Cut3D, it only allows you to carve 3D patterns you have or get from someone else. Aspire is for drawing your own 3D patterns and shapes.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

You can do v carving with aspire same as vcarve

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Yes, vcarve pro is a part of aspire. It comes with the machine. Unless you know that you need to create 3d files, I would just get the vcarve and try it. You will have to learn that software for Aspire anyway. If you decide that you need Aspire, you can contact vectric and they will give you credit for the vcarve and upgrade you to Aspire for the difference. They have the upgrade prices on their website that you can verify exact price with.

I would like Aspire because it is cool but in reality, I can get 99% of the work that I do with vcarve. Ihave cut3d so I can cut 3d, just can't create 3d files but I shy away from doing 3d work because of the long carve times for 3d. In the end, it will just depend on what you want to do with your machine. I have never heard anyone state that they wished that they had not bought Aspire. More is always good.

gordread

Post by gordread »

Milo nailed it on the head. There is nothing that you can do in v-carve that you can't do in Aspire, in exactly the same way. Any learning that you have in v-carve can directly translate to Aspire. I used v-carve for about a year before I upgraded to Aspire.

If you do not need to design 3D, or modify 3D models, then v-carve is the right tool for you. If you do need to design/modify 3D models, then Aspire is the right tool.

Gordon

BillK

Post by BillK »

I too started with just V-carve and learned on that. Very soon I wanted to not only carve the bas-relief samples that came with my machine, but to create my own. I tried a few things that I created with other 3d software and the results were good but the process was long. I tried the free demo version from the Vectric site of Aspire and was really impressed with the ease of which I could create models as this software is completely geared towards the bas-relief carving. The best thing are the videos that are also available on the Vectric site. They really take you through the process in an orderly easy to learn manner.

Soon I was putting in my order for the software. It was expensive but it was well worth it as it has paid for itself in saved time and creations I have made and sold which would not have been possible. There have also been two updates that were provided free of charge which were big improvements to the software.

I would buy it again, but I would warn you if you do not have any background in any other 3d software your learning curve will be a lot steeper. Some people buy it and never get the hang of it. So take advantage of the free download and put it through the paces for a few weeks to see if it will help you.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver