Help with flipping a carving

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bgwconstruction

Help with flipping a carving

Post by bgwconstruction »

I am carving a tap handle for a local business. The customer wants the carving to be on both the front and the back of the handle. I'm having a heck of a time getting the logo to line up after I flip the board. I've tried using indexing pins, carving a template square in my sacrificial board to use as a guide to lay the carving board, meticulously laying out the board and triple checking for square and placement...I've fiddled with the program (vcarve) to make darn certain everything is completely centered so when the workpiece is flipped things should line up. I'm at a loss...
Attachments
The 3D rendering of the project
The 3D rendering of the project
Front side, proper aligned cut
Front side, proper aligned cut
After flip, improper aligned cut
After flip, improper aligned cut

dmyers

Re: Help with flipping a carving

Post by dmyers »

bg,

The process I use to carve two sides. I start with a larger board and carve the project out, then I leave the board on the machine cut the tabs then apply double sided tape and flip the carve and reposition it back in the board making sure it centered evenly all the way around. I use drill bits to evenly space the carving and press it into place (remove drill bits before carving). Then I rerun the program minus the profile cut, then remove the waste board and I pry the carve off. I hope this makes some sense, it's work for me numerous times.

David

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I start with a board longer than the finished part, then have the front side make (usually 1/4") centered holes for alignment pins at the ends. The holes go through the part and 1/4" or so into the spoil board. The Spoil board remains in place and is held by it's own clamps or double-sided tape. When done with the front, remove then use those alignment holes and a bits of rod or drill bits that fit them to put the back-side up in place. Clamp it down, then you can remove the pins/bits before cutting the back face. If you use tabs, have the front side use tabs a little thicker than half the board thickness. Do the same in the same place with the back side. You'll have a centered tab remaining when you are done with both sides.

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

Try watching this video http://youtu.be/BLD4dFoXC7o
Last edited by monitoringpost on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomTurner

Post by TomTurner »

Looking at the 3D rendering it looks like your design is either not centered in the board or is not symmetrical. The reason I say this is that the waste on the right hand side stops part way up the handle while the waste on the left side goes to the top. If you design is not centered and symmetrical then when you flip it over it will not come out correct.

Tom

bgwconstruction

Post by bgwconstruction »

Thanks for all of the help, friends. I am currently reworking the design. After making DARN certain that my workpiece is perfectly square to the table (and router), I am still having the problem (with the top logo only), so I am pretty confident that Tom is correct...so I will rework the design and get back to you all with my progress.