Cutting your project

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Iwejan

Cutting your project

Post by Iwejan »

Please help. I am a new CNC user and attempting to cut my first project, a simple welcome sign. My question is this. What is the proper procedure to set my start points (X,Y,Z). Do I go to the point and click on the X0, Y0, Z0 tabs or just the X0Y0Z0 tab. I don't seem to find a video tutorial on this subject. Any and all information, instruction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Larry H. (Iwejan)

4DThinker

Re: Cutting your project

Post by 4DThinker »

If your bit is exactly where you want 0,0,0, then clicking on the X0Y0Z0 icon is fine. Sometimes depending on where I've set 0,0,0 I may set one axis to 0 at a time, and in that case use the individual X0, Y0. or Z0 icons.

Iwejan

Post by Iwejan »

Thank you 4DThinker. So, if I have entered my project dimensions and chosen the lower left corner as my start point, then all I need to do is jog the bit into position over the lower left corner and hit X0Y0Z0 and that should take care of my locations. Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Iwejan

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

You've got it. With the Shark's t-track table I usually choose the center of the material for 0.0.0 as I typically clamp it down around the perimeter. The bit will move to 0,0,0 when it starts then return to 0,0,safeZ when done so you'll want to be sure it won't pass through any clamp on the way or between individual tool paths. Red lines in VCarve preview show where the bit will travel between cuts, and you can also see where the bit will go in the Controller 2.0 preview after homing. Most of earned scarred/wounded clamps as we learned this.