Canceled the Piranha, got the 60th Anniversary edition

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

studio-n

Canceled the Piranha, got the 60th Anniversary edition

Post by studio-n »

It looks like the Piranha is still as ways off, so I went ahead and dove in on the Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition Shark that they had in stock.
On the plus side, I'll be set up for when the 4th Axis add-on is available.
My only complaint is the crappy bolts that are supplied for setting up the gantry. It uses a hex key (not supplied) and is so shallow that any
amount of angle while turning the bolt and you strip the head. I stripped out 6 of the 12 supplied bolt heads. It is on enough that I could run the test with the
control software and make sure I could jog the router in all 3 directions. But I'll have to run down to home depot or some other box store to
replace the bolts I stripped before I can run a real job. I know, I know they'll say it was user error, but it would not have happened if the bolts had a philips head or even a
traditional hex bolt head. Anyway, the saga begins.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

milo30

Re: Canceled the Piranha, got the 60th Anniversary edition

Post by milo30 »

Yeah, they strip pretty easily. Especially on the router bracket because of the angle to get to them. I've replaced several already. One day, I'll just break down and change them all.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

While I can understand Milo's comment and experience using a T27 bit at odd angles, I'm sure if in fact you used a hex wrench, you ended up stripping some of them out. I don't know that I'd characterize these as crappy bolts, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Owner's Manual does call out for use of the T27 bit for what it's worth.

For those gantry bolts Milo, I found a socket wrench like handle that holds interchangeable bits vice having a socket head - pop the T27 bit into that and I can reach most of the bolts straight on. Don't know if that would improve life for you or not.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

i replaced them bolts with regular 1/4" bolts with a hex head, went on smooth no problem.
Got it up and running, but the zero plate is not being recognized. I'll deal with that tomorrow.
The first test plunged right into the material about 1/4" (wasn't suppose to). The second test came
out great. it's a bit adult themed so I'm not posting it. But suffice it to say, it was at least a 200%
improvement on the stamps I got from the laser on 3d stuff. Plus it is smooth. All i had to do was
clean it with a toothbrush and ready to use.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner