jog bit using usb keypad

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

WayneK

jog bit using usb keypad

Post by WayneK »

I find it tedious manually jog the bit when setting up the (X0,Y0) on the Shark CNC router. I read a post related to this topic for the ShopBot and the user said he was able to use a Targus PAUK10U Ultra Mini USB Keypad (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PAUK10U-Ul ... us+pauk10u) to jog the bit to the zero location. In the SC2 software under the preferences you can set hotKeys that jog the router. Has anyone tried to use this method when setting up (X0,Y0)?

Also USB Router Tools sells a hand held controller for $95 (http://www.usroutertools.com/USB-Handhe ... nc-con.htm). Their website says, "This unit is setup for WinCNC systems as a default. Can be programed to work with any controller that uses a PC. (User may need to program buttons for options) Works with CAMaster, Shop Bot, Shop Sabre, EZ Router, and More (Any WinCNC or Mach 3 System) "

Will this work with the Shark CNC?

WayneK

Bob

Re: jog bit using usb keypad

Post by Bob »

Wayne
I use a simple numeric keypad similar to the first one you listed. I have used both wireless and wired. I prefer wired because it's more predictable.
If your keypad on your computer works...the remote keypad will work.
I use it for both my Shark control panel, and my Mach 3 control panel, and the Shark I demo at Rockler.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Bob thanks for your input. Please tell me how you connect the keypad to the computer and Nextwave control panel?

Wayne K
P.S. You mentioned doing a demo at Rockler. I live in the Denver area, were you talking about doing a demo in the Denver Rockler?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Using the USB keypad is as simple as plugging it into your laptop. The laptop treats it the same as the keyboard. If the keypad provides the keys you need, then you're set. Otherwise, you can remap the hotkeys from the Nextwave Control Panel software so they line up.

Bob

Post by Bob »

WayneK wrote:Bob thanks for your input. Please tell me how you connect the keypad to the computer and Nextwave control panel?

Wayne K
P.S. You mentioned doing a demo at Rockler. I live in the Denver area, were you talking about doing a demo in the Denver Rockler?
Hi Wayne,
Yup, I just plug it into my computer usb port. Don't forget to select jog on your Shark Control Panel. It can drive you a little bonkers of you don't.

I demo at the Milwaukee, WI store. It would be fun to do one at the Denver store, but kind of a long drive from Sheboygan.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

Bob wrote:Wayne
I use a simple numeric keypad similar to the first one you listed. I have used both wireless and wired. I prefer wired because it's more predictable.
If your keypad on your computer works...the remote keypad will work.
I use it for both my Shark control panel, and my Mach 3 control panel, and the Shark I demo at Rockler.
Bob
Ditto on the numeric keypad. I'd rather use it than the pendant control. just my preference.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

bill z

Post by bill z »

I untethered my self and bought a wireless 10 key pad from an Internet retailer who's name starts with an 'A'. Cost was $11.00 (get it in 2 days) and works. This allows me to walk around my Shark if needed and position the router wherever. It is especially handy when doing clean up and oiling.

About battery life, going on a year now and still not missing a step with the same batteries I started with. I must admit that I do my work on weekends and not every day like most of you guys do.

It will allow you to decrease and increase the step size by using the + and - keys but will not let you select the fast, medium or slow radio buttons.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Bill, if you're using the 10-key I'm thinking of, what happens if you toggle Num Lock and use the 1 & 7 keys (home and end) to change among fast/med/slow?

bill z

Post by bill z »

WOW!!

Thanks Kayvon.

I hadn't tried the 7 or 1 keys. Yes, with Num lock off, the 7 key will ratchet up to maximum speed and the 1 key will ratchet down to slow.

I can see that because I can not see my laptop screen (the reason for going wireless) I could get in real trouble using the 7 or 1 and not knowing I had selected maximum speed. But, then that will be my issue.

It is still very good to know.

Thanks again.

SwissArmyKnife

Post by SwissArmyKnife »

Hi. I replaced a Dell laptop with a Windows 10 tablet (the original Surface) and a Bluetooth keyboard. When I use PgUp or PgDn or the left-or-right arrow keys to move the gantry, the keypress also changes the focus in the Shark Control Panel. For example, if I set the Jog to Medium and press the left arrow (to move the gantry left on the X-axis), that keypress moves the gantry left but also changes the Control Panel's jog speed to Fast. The PgDn key would move the gantry downward on the Z-axis but also change the jog speed to Step.

I replaced the Bluetooth keyboard with a USB 10-key keypad; the same behavior occured.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening? Can I reprogram the controller so it executes an action when a key is pressed but it does not trigger a change of focus in the Control Panel?

Thank you.