Routing mortise for door hinge

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

IowaWoodWorker

Routing mortise for door hinge

Post by IowaWoodWorker »

I'm trying to learn to use my new CNC Shark and would like to create a mortise in a door frame for the hinge. Can anyone provide some instructions how I should create the mortise design with VCarve Pro or Cut 3-D?

Bob

Re: Routing mortise for door hinge

Post by Bob »

Iowa,
It would be kind of real difficult to cut the mortise directly on the door frame using the Shark. Instead, use the Shark to make a template that would be attached to the door frame. Using VCarve you would draw the outline of the mortise you want to make. Use the pocketing toolpath to cut out the template. Use the template and a pattern cutting bit in your handheld router to cut the mortise in the frame.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

IowaWoodWorker

Post by IowaWoodWorker »

The door frame is not assembled and the hinge side is basically a flat board that can lay on the CNC table and moved to position for each of the 3 mortises needed.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Yes, that you can easily do in V-Carve Pro. Measure your hinge dimenstions, layout your lines in V-Carve Pro and create a pocket cut to the depth that you need. You should mount a board on your table to use as a straight edge and mark a zero point on that. Then you can slide the jamb board along that as you go from pocket to pocket.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

IowaWoodWorker

Post by IowaWoodWorker »

Thanks Bill. I will give this a try.