routers

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mchurchf

Re: routers

Post by mchurchf »

Thanks for the help guys. I was looking at the PC892 found out precise bits do not support the PC. I decided to purchase the Bosch1617 after a lengthy discussion with one of the techs at precise bits.

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

mchurchf wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I was looking at the PC892 found out precise bits do not support the PC. I decided to purchase the Bosch1617 after a lengthy discussion with one of the techs at precise bits.
I was wondering if you could let me know how you made out with the BOSCH1617. Like you I am in a bit of a quandary as to what router to get... seems the consensus is still a bit out on this one, if you will pardon the pun :D I have been a Dewalt guy for many years but that is for other applications. This is my first official post here in the Shark CNC forum, anticipating getting the Shark HD3 with extended bed and running the Aspire software. I will likely will pull the trigger on that purchase in the next few weeks.... so this forum will be a godsend for me!

I make signs, cabinets (Oak & Maple) and work with a number of exotic woods for inlay and build other furniture and knickknacks. I will be putting a lot of detail in my CNC work, fine carving, 3D, cutting out parts, etc... I'd like to buy the router with good reliability and gives me the options I need for bit selection.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

I was using the Porter Cable 892. I'm not a constant user, but I am a regular user of my CNC.
The PC crapped out in less than 200 hours of work.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

I had kinda ruled out the PC 890 series. Leaning towards to Bosch but still considering the DW618.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I've been using the 1617 for several years now. I typically get 2000 - 3000 hours before I decide to replace the bearings on one. Can't speak to the other brands. They may perform as well or better, but these have worked for me. As others have pointed out, having 2 in the shop results over time.

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

2000-3000 hours ... so about a year if one was to run in 8 hours a day... which is a lot. When I get to that point (or likely before) I would consider going to a water-cooled spindle.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I only have experience with the Dewalt 618. I chose it for the built-in "soft-start" feature which I am familiar with in my industrial experience. I also installed a 1/2" Muscle Chuck on the router when it was brand new. I have had my 618 in service for about 18 months. I run my machine almost everyday and probably average 6 hours machine time a day at 12,000-20,000 RPM. No issues so far!

Have a great day!

..... Rod

Proflemoi

Post by Proflemoi »

Rod, Thank you for your response! I was hoping to hear something good about the Dewalt. Most of my hand tools are dewalt and I have had good luck with that brand for years. You have given me pause of the Bosch ... so long as I am not restricted by bit selection on the dewalt, that may be the way I go.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Profilemoi,

I mentioned that I installed a quick-change Muscle Chuck on my Dewalt 618 router. I should add that I have three collets (1/8, 1/4 & 3/8) So I can use 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" shaft diameter bits. This gives you a wide range of tool types.

Have a great day!

......... Rod