Having an issue with a plaque on Piranha

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kymike

Having an issue with a plaque on Piranha

Post by kymike »

I am trying to do a Plaque with a 3D object on it. My problem is that at times the cutter just goes to the far left then back to cutting as it should. I have rebuilt the code several times but the problem is still there. I got the 3D object for Vector Art 3D. Took it to Machinist 3D to create the tool paths, then imported into Cut2D.

David at the local Rockler Store suggested looking a the G-code an look for a sudden drop in the X parameter, nothing. I don't know much about G-code but I did open the .tap file with notepad and looked to for a X value of 0 since the cutter went all the way to the left. Even took the file into Excel so I could sort the X parameters, all looked good.

Any ideas ???
Attachments
What I am trying to do
What I am trying to do
The Problem.
The Problem.

joethegasman

Re: Having an issue with a plaque on Piranha

Post by joethegasman »

I was recently putzing aound with some clip art on my piranha engraving into some scrap and while it ran fine most of the way it suddenly moved toward "0" in the Y axis doing something similar to what you have here in two separate attempts. each time it malfunctioned it was in a different location.

I also dont have alot of experience with g-code but after looking at the tap file with note pad line by line, (i'm still nuresing the resulting headache I think) I noticed nothing standing out or unusual to my untrained eye.

I was suspecting it was something with the software throwing a curveball into the code since i hadnt run the licensing yet, ( since dun dat)

I havent had time to play with it again since so I dont know if the licensing made a difference or not.

I wonder if this could be a glitch caused by static?

kymike

Post by kymike »

My copy is licensed.

Static can cause issues, I will look at how to ground the unit.

Thanks for the thought.

joethegasman

Post by joethegasman »

If you come up with a sucessfull grounding method, please post it up.

I should nmention that I do have my dust collector connected to my machines enclosure. (plywood and plexiglas construction)

JTGM

ts154

Post by ts154 »

I too have had the same problem. It has happened to me twice now. I also checked the NC code and nothing appeared out of place. Please post if there is a solution.

Bob

Post by Bob »

kymike wrote:My copy is licensed.

Static can cause issues, I will look at how to ground the unit.

Thanks for the thought.

Along with the static thought, check with other interference: Are the power cables for the router or power to the control box, anywhere near the data cables that are connected to the motors? Keep those as far away from each other as possible.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Tom Riley

Post by Tom Riley »

I have a similar problem with my Piranha. When working fine tool paths, which are at 45 degrees, it can run off along the x-axis to the center of the piece. This can spoil a piece that takes 4 hours to mill.

It looks like a software problem to me. I am using Cut3D. The Cut3D forum has been shut down for over a week so I cannot post a question there.

I have pictures but do not see how to post them on this forum.

This weekend I will mill some foam blocks to see how repeatable this problem is.

Tom Riley