Open Vector's

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Iwejan

Open Vector's

Post by Iwejan »

Please help. I'm new to the use of a CNC. I have watched as many video's and tutorials as I can find, but apparently must have missed one or two as I cannot get my first project completed. The project is nothing more than a 5.5 X 16 inch flat sign with two lines of text using the Helvicka font. Everytime I attempt to perform the toolpath for the sign I get a notice window that says I have nine open vector's and need to close them.

PLEASE...how do I get to the point of finishing this sign for my grandson and learning something at the same time?

Thanks for you anticipated response's.

Iwejan

BillK

Re: Open Vector's

Post by BillK »

Any other shapes or lines or just text?
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

drueth

Post by drueth »

Iwejan

To find all the "OPEN" vectors go to the tab for edit at the top left of the screen and pick Select all open vectors This will cause the program to change the "open" vectors to the color they would be if you had selected a vector. If it turn out the "OPEN" vectors that the program high light are the "lines" or something you have drawn then I you have to guess you are trying to select say a V-Carve tool path an a line. ( not all tool paths can deal with an open vector like a line would be )

If you can post the file someone will point out the problem in greater detail.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

jimsr1959

Post by jimsr1959 »

If it is a single line font you have to use the profile do it.

Iwejan

Post by Iwejan »

The font is a single line and yes, I am trying to use the V-Carve. Would it make it better if I change the font to a multiple/double line and perhaps use a different carving path if that's what you call it? It is only text. As you can see, I don't think I'm anywhere near ready to try importing a shape.

Thank all of you for your input so far.

Iwejan

BillK

Post by BillK »

Don't use the single line if you want to use the V-carve toolpath creator. You need to have closed vectors for that one.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

If you posted the CRV file it would allow us to look at it and maybe give you pointers. You may want to select a truetype font for the best results but single line fonts can be done.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Iwejan

Post by Iwejan »

First, let me thank all of you for the information on my post. The majority seem to be in favor of not using a single line font and that is what I will do first. I'll let you know how this works out. I guess it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks if he is willing to listen to the advice.

Iwejan

"Why is there never enough time to do a job right, but always enough time to do it over"