Question on Pirana

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Mimbler

Re: Question on Pirana

Post by Mimbler »

Keith, that is how I've been running mine. The manual refers to running a control panel from the computer, and when I contacted support, they said the software was still being developed, so that capability might be coming.

Since this is my first cnc, I haven't perceived the lack of a speed slider as a deficiency, since that is all I've known, and it seems natural to me to set the speed in the tool database. You can edit the speed there easily if it needs tweaking. Still, now that I know the function of a speed slider it does indeed seem useful!
Mike
Keith Hodges wrote:It'll run from a computer, or memory stick, for the files only, or the best I can figure out. I'm thinking that adjusting the feeds in the tool database is the only way to go. Anything I find out at this point will just be transferred to my brother in law for him to try since I've returned home. I got him up and running, with lots of exposure to its abilities, so it's his learning experience now. All in all its a pretty nice "little" machine. Only 12 x 13 inch area of cutting if my memory is correct. Not very big, but you get what you pay for, bigger machines, more bells and whistles.

Keith Hodges

Re: Question on Pirana

Post by Keith Hodges »

Yes, it's definitely useful. The larger the bit, the slower I run it. Let it nibble away, so to speak, instead of plowing right through. Going fast is hard on the wood, the bit, and the gantry. I was watching as we were doing a pocket cut with a 1/4 inch end mill, and you could see the router was leaning forward a bit, as the bit was plowing through the wood. It was Maple, which is pretty hard, soft wood would have been a little more gentle. That's not good for the entire structure. Good to know their still working on the software, so better times ahead.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.