Y Axis Slipping

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

VinceD

Y Axis Slipping

Post by VinceD »

I have a Shark HD3. When I try and move the gantry along the Y axis, using the control panel, the unit makes a sound like a clutch is slipping and the gantry does not move. If I look under the table while trying to move the gantry, the motor is trying to turn the shaft but is unable to do so. I can raise and lower the router and move the gantry along the X axis with no problem and no unusual sound. I have checked and nothing is blocking the gantry above or below the table. All cables are tight to the control box. I have a call into New Wave but haven't heard back from them yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

4DThinker

Re: Y Axis Slipping

Post by 4DThinker »

You should check the coupler between the motor and threaded shaft. Set screws have been known to come loose or slip/score the shaft if the system has bumped into the ends a few times.

VinceD

Post by VinceD »

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the coupler and it is tight. You can see the coupler/shaft trying to turn but no success. You can see it making little jerks but mo movement.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Next thing to look for is something binding the gantry/Y travel. First look for anything that might be obstruction Y motion. If your gantry is "stuck", then this obstruction is right against it or between a bearing and the rail. Chip of wood maybe. It isn't easy to do, but with the bed off you can see where the threaded rod feeding through a plastic nut. Unscrew the nut from its mount then see if you can move the gantry back and forth manually. You may discover what was binding the travel this way. If the gantry can move freely, and the coupler isn't slipping, check if the motor can spin the threaded rod when the nut is free. No motion even with no load then your motor or its driver board (in the controller) is bad.

VinceD

Post by VinceD »

Thanks 4DThinker, for the help. I followed your suggestion and removed the bed. No obstruction of any kind. I switched the X-Y cables with the same result - the Y-axis motor would jerk but not rotate. I removed the coupler screw and I could easily rotate the threaded rod. The gantry moved easily and smoothly. With the rod disconnected, when I tried to actuate the motor via the control panel, it just jerked and would not rotate.

I called Next Wave, explained what action I had taken and they concurred it appeared to be the motor and or cable. So I removed the motor, packed it up and sent it on its' way. They should have it in a couple of days.

I was pleasantly surprised when Next Wave said they would ship a new motor once I sent them the tracking number. When I got back from the Post Office I e-mailed them the tracking number and shortly received notification that my replacement motor was being shipped today. Great customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your help.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Great to hear! It is rare that those stepper motors fail, but not impossible. Glad you will be getting back in business soon.
4D