HELP!!! Cost Justification

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RobieMo

HELP!!! Cost Justification

Post by RobieMo »

Please Help....I am really, really trying to wrap my head around paying for a machine like this. From everything that I have read and seen, I have no doubts that the machine isn't worth the cost. It is just that....well, in my world that is a lot of money!

Is there anyone out there that can help me justify some of the cost? I have no real plans of opening a specialty shop or anything like that, but is there a market out there for this kind of thing to offset some of the cost? I have been a woodworking "hobbyist" for years and recently lost all of my tools in a fire. I am slowly rebuilding my shop and am stuck on this decision.

Anything you could say to help me justify having one of these great machines in my shop would be greatly appreciated. Even more so, it would help take away the look of absolute confusion on my wife's face when I say I want to get one.

Thanks for the input.

Phil B

Re: HELP!!! Cost Justification

Post by Phil B »

In your case, the “justification” is actually kind of easy. Take a rockler catalog, circle all the tools and jigs in it that a cnc router could replace and add the cost up, you will be amazed.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Figure out what you could/would sell and figure it out that way. With any sales skills at all, it would be difficult not to pay for the machine in a year just using it part time.

Signage, puzzles, model airplane/train parts, engraved plaques/awards, there is really no limit but your imagination.

Ralph

cdat

Post by cdat »

I purchased mine a couple of months ago. I've since bought more software for it and a lot of the art at that vectric site. I make two items a day that are pre-ordered (a backlog like you wouldn't believe). I then make one item for the house or extended family to keep the Boss (Wife) off of my @$$. I only wished I had purchased the longer table when I purchased this one. Now, I'm looking at buying a second machine to get the longer table. Try explaining THAT one to the wife. As long as you have people in the area where you live that can afford to spend money on the stuff you'll make, you should have no problem selling it.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Hi Robie,

You ask is there a market, yes there is, but it varies depending on your location.
First off you need to determine if you're going to offer a service - machine stuff for the general public - or if you plan on selling a product i.e. you figure out which niche you want to fit in and what's missing in that niche. That's the commercial aspect!
As far as the hobby is concerned it depends if you'll be doing hobby stuff for others i.e. your hobby may transform into your part time job. Will it pay? Depends how many "friends" you have and how much you can/have to do on a barter basis.

Next item: if you want to make as much use of the machine as possible you better be prepared to invest time learning a) the machining aspect and b) the software aspect. And yes, CNC is a different kettle of fish! :shock: :shock:
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

cdat

Post by cdat »

As another indicator, I live in Flint Michigan. Bad crime, bad unemployment, losing population. Every indicator that business should suck.

If this weren't just a part time gig for me, I'd be very tempted to upsize the entire operation and do it full time. But then it'd be work and work sucks.
Let's revisit the whole "Hope I die before I get old" Thing.