longer pieces

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kguarnotta

Re: longer pieces

Post by kguarnotta »

Hey Eric Did you ever figure this out?

I'm new to this, and I've got a project that needs to be tiled. When I try my test piece, the 2nd 'tile' appears to be off in the x-direction by the width of the bit.

I've got a fence that my workpiece is sliding against in the y-direction. in other words 'x' =0 is always fixed. Any suggestions on figuring out what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Are you sure that your board edge is straight and also that your fence is straight for the router? Either of those could possibly throw it off. When set up properly, you can't tell where t1 stopped and t2 began.

I am assuming you are working off the router returning to zero after t1. Make sure that it actually is at zero. Mine has returned just off of zero a couple of times in the past but it showed it in the control panel

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

Thanks for the tips, I think maybe my fence that I was sliding my workpiece against was not parallel to the Y-axis. I also think I may not be returning the router to zero properly.

I'm not sure how to index this exactly - I've seen a video example - but it required drilling an index hole into your piece. I think that is the route I plan on going. I'm just not sure what to do when I change bits from an end mill to a v-groove. I have a feeling that the router or gantry shifts slightly when I'm changing bits. Then I've no longer got the correct bit in the router to use for indexing.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

You need to use the same bit with the hole process. Your motors should be on and therefore locking your gantry in place. It might flex a bit but shouldn't actually move.
I don't use a fence. If you just run a v bit along your spoil board you will have a line parallel to your axis.

If you have changed bits for other projects you can do it for this. I am off tomorrow. I will pm you my number and feel free to call and I will walk you thru it.