Z Axis control has lost it's mind...

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jmw1999

Z Axis control has lost it's mind...

Post by jmw1999 »

CNC Shark HD3 (new model with double clamp on router)
Running updated control panel software

All, here is the order of malfunction:

Ran 3 separate operations. Each operation was correctly z'd out using touchplate (center z was set first then 5 point virtual zero was run for each toolpath). Used 90 deg V bit.
Then, swapped bits to a 1/4" shank, 1/4" Long Reach (4" tall) upcut endmill).
Ran center z on touch plate. No problem. Ran Virtual Zero for toolpath. No problem. Virtual zero then asked me to clear touch plate and disconnect. All done.
Pressed ok, and SHTF!

First time, took the z and slammed it into my work
Second time (after a full reset and reboot): took the z and slammed it into the top of the z travel (all the way up)!
Third time: Got to zero out z at center. All Good. Then ran virtual zero. As it arrived at the first point, before it even was told to touch off on the plate) it raised the bit 2" on the z. At this point, the virtual zero chart was still showing ok. It did this for the remaining 4 points. Then, after removing plate, pressed ok and SHTF again. It took the z axis all the way to the top.
Fourth Time: same as third except this time it took bit and slammed it into the work.

This machine has never done anything like this before.

I am livid. I was hoping someone out there could help. I will be calling Dave at Rockler tomorrow as well.

:x :x :x

Thanks for any help.

Best,

Jess in MN

4DThinker

Re: Z Axis control has lost it's mind...

Post by 4DThinker »

Have you updated the control software recently? There was at least one point where I gave up on Virtual Z because of unpredictable results like you describe. Try it once without doing the Virtual Z touch-off routine and see if you get a normal cut. It sounds like whatever is being calculated is creating G-code that is wrong, either from a bad routine that got remixed into the code, or you've come across a bug in the code that

One other possibility is that the code you are importing into the controller has the flaw in it. Double check the post processor you used. Be sure your preview render in VCarve looks OK. I've seen where crossing vectors create bizarre g-code moves that shouldn't look right in a preview, will send your CNC places it just can't go, but could still be saved as a .TAP file.

4D

jmw1999

Post by jmw1999 »

4D, thank you for the response. I updated the software again after the 2nd malfunction. It did not correct the problem. I ended up running the pass without the Virtual Zero and it ran the tool path fine. However, before this problem, my router would shut off over the last g code point at the end of the tool path. Now, it runs until it reaches 0,0. This is new as well...

I started work on another piece. Again, ran no virtual and it was fine. However, the piece was cupped and I needed the Virtual Zero to correct. So, attempted VZ again using this new tool path from a completely seperate project and....drum roll....SHTF again. The CP software has got to be the culprit as it is generating this problem for any new tool path on which you run VZ.

Would love to know if there is a way to track down why VZ has suddenly gone suicidal.

Best,

Jess in MN
Last edited by jmw1999 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Jess,
"Then, swapped bits to a 1/4" shank, 1/4" Long Reach (4" tall) upcut endmill)."
Does this only happen when you used the longer endmill? I'm probably missing something and got this all wrong...but. if it only happens with a longer endmill you may be hitting the upper limits of Z travel. This would cause your bit to plunge into the work because of missed steps.
Also what is your clearance and home Z set at?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Look at the picture, your home start postion makes a big difference,

Tony
Attachments
start stop.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

jmw1999

Post by jmw1999 »

Bob, this is a tool path I've run dozens of times and never had any problems with z clearance. It is not just happening with the extended bit. It is also happening with regular length ones. It is doing it with old tool paths and new. Something has gone wrong with either vz in the cp software, or something has gone crazy in the control box. I've also uninstalled the cp and reinstalled it thinking a reset might clear it. Nope. No joy.

Jess

jmw1999

Post by jmw1999 »

Tony, as this is a toolpath I've run successfully dozens of times using my current settings, I do not believe the issue is developing from the Vectric software. It is the virtual zero software or the control box interpreting the vz commands. Thanks for pointing that out though. I did check and my settings in Vectric shouldn't be causing this.

Jess

meb

Post by meb »

Jess,

If you have the installer for the control panel that you were using before the update then I would uninstall and reinstall the old version that worked correctly. One big problem is the number of operating systems (Vista, XP, 7, 8, 10) and if updates were done when they were available. When you change something in the control panel software so it will work under one system it might not work in one of the other systems. It is hard to find a problem unless you have the exact computer that is not working correctly.

A friend of mine bought a new CNC Extended Bed HD3 and the current 2.1 control panel software would not work correctly on his computer. We reinstalled it several times and it would not take VZ reading correctly and it was cutting too deep with out hitting the upper limit of the Z axis. I had to go home and copy the installer for an older version of the 2.1 control panel to a thumb dive and install it on his computer. Started right up and it is still working great with no problems today.

jmw1999

Post by jmw1999 »

Meb (and everyone else who commented on this thread), working with the Nextwave techs, we pulled the SD card from the control box and reinstalled. And.... that corrected the problem. Loose connection, dust, who knows. But we're back up and running. Whew!

podpilot

Post by podpilot »

I am using a Shark HD 520. Several times recently the bit has plunged in the middle of a pass cutting deep into the piece, once blowing a fuse.
Latest episode was with a 0.75” Bowl bit. After making three perfect passes, it then plunged deep during the fourth pass with no input or alteration from me.
Machine is two years old. No similar problems prior. I use a flash drive on a USB cable extension to the pendant to avoid wearing out pendant socket. See photos of cable and deep gouge in the hardwood.
Attachments
IMG_4250.jpeg
IMG_4251.jpeg