CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bill z

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by bill z »

13 hours at this writing and still ticking on 1.5 pounds of weight.

I'll try less tonight but I think 1.5 pounds is pretty light.

BTW, I took half of the weight out of the bob when I went to just 2 pounds on the main weight. It started with 12 ounces and is now just 7 ounces (the wood has some weight).

According to what I have been reading about wooden gear clocks, humidity will play a big roll. My clock is in my garage, near Houston, Texas where it has been just after a flood and expecting another rain tomorrow. Humidity never gets below 70 percent (almost never). None of the gears are treated with anything yet.

I'm thinking of staining each gear a different contrasting color to show it off better. Yes, I'll keep the stain away from the teeth. I'll keep them pearly white.

Like I said at the beginning, If there is a mistake to be made, I'll make it. well, I almost made every one there was to be made.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Can't wait to see the final product bill.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

When you get going on the next clock, keep us posted. That particular clock was on my to do list, just haven't had time ( no pun intended ). I don't know of anyone else who has done it personally so it would be great to hear about your experience with it.
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

The web site that Clayton uses came back up and I placed my order for the DXF. It should be in my email when I get home.

I have stuff to do tonight and tomorrow so I may not be able to cut gears till the weekend.

While I was looking for some You Tube links of the Epicyclic clock, I came across a clock by Steve K. It is his Wood Gear Clock#9. Does anyone have know how to get hold of Steve K or to get the plans in DXF format?
Attachments
Wood Gear Clock#9 by Steve K
Wood Gear Clock#9 by Steve K

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

I might reach out to Clayton to see if he knows him. The community of makers is small, and he may know how to reach him. Ya never know. ..
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

Clayton just responded.

No, he does not know Steve Kretschmer. Steve may build only for himself.

Looking close at Steve's clock, I think I could modify the Simplicity clock to use the same dial / face that Steve used. The hour gear would turn the hoop that indicates the hour. I'll just have to calculate the teeth.

Modifying the pendulum will be some what harder.

Wow! I'm talking like I know what I'm doing. Scary!!

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

If you need, I could forward you a chart that I have regarding pendulum lengths, if it helps, as it can tell you in general the length of the pendulum required to achieve a certain beat.

And you do know what you are doing :)
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

Thanks Chris. I'd like to have the chart.

I figured out how to do a weight for my wood gear clock. I had a piece of chrome drain pipe (the ones that go under a sink). It is 1 1/4 diameter, 6 inches long. I cut a piece of wood to fit tightly in each end. On the top, I screwed in a decorative hook.

Here is the best part. To give it the weight needed, I found some really large flat washers in my washer collection bucket. These washers have a 1 inch diameter hole. Each washer is about 1/8 inch thick. I heated up some lead, put the washers (flattest side down) on a 1/4 inch plate steel and pore liquid lead in the center just to the top of the washer.

When cooled, the lead just falls out. Some trimming had to be done on the ones that had a little leakage. I did the trimming with wire cutters. To speed up the cooling process, I dropped them into water.

After weighing a bunch, it took 13 to weigh 1.5 pounds, what it takes to run the clock.
Attachments
Clock weight
Clock weight

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Really great idea for the weights! And she turned out beautiful. I'm truly impressed with it running on 1 and a half pounds. Reducing the weight that much will make her run beyond our lifetime. Have you obtained plans for your next clock yet?
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

Clayton Boyer has already sent me the Epicyclic DXF.

Before I start on the Epicyclic, I still have the face of the Simplicity clock to do. Still not sure what I'll do. What ever I do, it'll stand out just because.

I'll post a picture when I get the face done.