CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cjablonski

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by cjablonski »

So the majority of the other projects are now nearly complete. With that we'll underway it's on to the Harmonic Oscillator. Will keep you posted :)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I started building Clayton's Journey clock, which looks amazing. Over the weekend, I cut the largest gear, which was a challenge on my original Shark because the gear is nearly 13" in diameter, which is precisely what the Shark can handle. It came out well and I'm excited to push forward.

Does anyone else find they spend at least twice as long in front of the computer perfecting the cut as they do actually cutting? To say nothing of the assembly and other parts. The CNC machines facilitate the hardest part of wooden clockmaking, but they don't make clocks.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

I might tend to agree, with a twist. What I find is I spend quite a bit of time sorting out the plans to nest the parts to the appropriate material thicknesses. As to whether that translates into more computer time VS cutting time is difficult to pin down, as cutting time relates to tool paths and the number of them and thier specific functions. I know a few examples of equally amounts of time sorting and programing ( the mystery box was 2 evenings sorting /programming to 2 days build, same as the steampunk impulse engine ). But the advantages to me far outweigh the downsides. First, with a sharp bit to cut wheels and pinnions, once done I never have to sand the teeth. Additionally, on small diameter internal cutouts I pocket everything. This saves me breaking into to scroll saw and more sanding. Additionally, I try to cut almost everything with the cnc (frame, wheels and pinnions, decorative parts ECT). Due to those choices i can rely on parts being cut absolutely to plan to eliminate a ton of fiddling around. Due to that I tend to spend equal parts cutting as I do sorting. That's just my 2 cents :)
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

New project begins! I will start Claytons Harmonic Oscillator clock programming tomorrow. This will take a bit longer than the last ones as materials are much greater hence it's of a greater cost. That said, with this project I will try to post photos as this one goes along.
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

For anyone still interested, below are some photos of the progress on Claytons Harmonic Oscillator clock. Motion and motive trains should be completed this weekend.
Attachments
20170208_192421.jpg
20170208_192504.jpg
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

PS- the blue tape is just there to hold a small part I would absolutely lose or misplace if not for, well, blue tape :D
Albert Einstein

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

Wow! Thanks for sharing
I'm hoping to start making something with gears soon.

Please keep updating us on the progress.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Will do!
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Well, nearly the entire motion and going trains are done. Still need to work on the pallets and related bits. Need to save something for tomorrow :) Photos below. Going better than expected, which is a releaf. Hope to have more here soon!
Attachments
20170211_214447.jpg
20170211_214610.jpg
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

And now the complete going and motion trains :)
Attachments
20170213_203627.jpg
20170213_203712.jpg
Albert Einstein