CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cjablonski

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by cjablonski »

If anyone is interested I will post a link to most of the clocks I've built below;

https://youtu.be/U4hNc-smxSY

Hope to soon be adding the chime, so please take the time to view em!

Thanks
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

bill z

Post by bill z »

Cjablonski,

Yes, I’m still interested. Still working on my first clock. There are so many questions I still have.

See, I have these questions because if there is a mistake to be made, I’ll make it. Just the way it has been.

However, I do want to show everyone what I made yesterday to help me with my clock gears. I was having difficulty working on my gears. Holding them to sand and clean up burrs and splinters. I saw a simple vice on the internet that took me less than an hour to make with what I think are improvements.

Made of scraps but if purchased, would not cost much. Just something to hold the gears, not to beat on with a 5 pound hammer.

Made with 9 pieces of 1 ½” X 6” X ¾” plywood where 7 of the 9 have notches in the end. The bolt is a carnage bolt where I ground down the head flat and ground off the square behind the head. A T bolt is pressed into the first piece of the vice. The handle was from an old project using a jam nut to lock it into place. The front and back piece are the only pieces glued to the rails. The other pieces are dropped in or removed as desired for flexibility.

In using the vice, I was thinking of drilling some holes in the top of some of the pieces and putting dowel pins so if needed, the gears could be laid down flat and the dowels could do the holding.

Now, back to working on the clock.
Attachments
Desk Vice 1
Desk Vice 1
Desk Vice 2
Desk Vice 2

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Sweet jig! Nice work!
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

With the CMCO 95 percent complete, it's time to move on to the final phase of this year's long project, the chime. All will work together in harmony once a day. Will post photos as it progresses along. Enjoy!
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

Seems getting side tracked in this project is getting to be a regular occurrence. Just so many possibilities and things to do.

My latest side track was building the bob and weight. I didn’t have any bird shot and even though there is a sporting goods store latterly 1 mile from where I live, that will sell me a $40. Bag of #4 bird shot, I had 20 pounds of lead that my son collected and left when he started his career.

You Tube showed where I could melt the lead and make my own bird shot. I tried but it didn’t work. So, after a few hours, I gave up and made a mold the size I needed for the bob and pored what I needed. The bob weighs in at ¾ pound. I don’t have anything to compare the weight against.

I also took some 1 ¼ steel electrical conduit I had and filled it with lead to make a 7 pound weight. The instructions say 7 pounds should work.

Below are some pictures.
bob weights and mold
bob weights and mold
Attachments
Conduit weight
Conduit weight

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Nice work bob! I had the same issue with finding weight and ended up using daisy BB'S instead. I did find however a way to melt lead later. I bought a cast iron skillet from a department store. Found that the melting point of lead was below what my outdoor gas grill could achieve so....

One afternoon I fired up the grille, tossed in some lead ingots in the skillet and let er go for around a half hour. Worked perfectly!

Yet another way a guy can find an excuse to barbecue :)
Last edited by cjablonski on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

One of the problems I had and discovered when I started putting all of the parts together was that the zero indicator on my drill press was off by 1.5 degrees. I came to this conclusion because the gears appeared to be warped when spun, and collided when tried to mesh.

After using a square, I adjusted the drill press, I made another back frame & filled all center holes of the gears with a mixture of saw dust and glue. After they dried, I drilled them out again and all was better.

Next, I’ll glue all of the connectors to the gears and pinions. I have yet to buy the Allen screws, but drilling for those should not take long.

Positioning the back frame is a lot more sensitive than I would of thought. It has a lot to do with positioning the Center Wheel.

I see now that I will have to build something to hold it to the wall while I tune it.

Here is what I have now.
Attachments
Sort of Fits
Sort of Fits

bill z

Post by bill z »

Yes, I went to some tire stores in the area and asked for the old wheel weights. They loaded me up, 7 to 10 pounds a store. When they melt, the steal clips and junk float to the tip. Steal floats. LOL!

I bought a ½ OZ Stainless steal gravy dipper for $1.49 from a restaurant supply, heated where it connects to the handle with my acetylene torch and it made a perfect lead dipper. Still have to wear gloves.

The cast iron pot I used was a 10 inch Duch Oven thing (no legs) for $15.00.

So, free lead, $15.00 for the pot, $1.50 for the dipper and some small amount for the propane. I saved some bucks over the $48.00 for the buck shot.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Really looking sharp bill! Keep at it!
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Bill z- info sent but possibly stuck in my outbox. Lemme know if you don't receive it.
Albert Einstein