CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kayvon

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by Kayvon »

I've uploaded a gadget that may be useful to anyone designing their own clock. Rather than maintain the discussion and uploads in two places, there's a single thread for it here:
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5332

I've had to take a break from clockmaking for a couple weeks while I create a shelf for piano books. It hasn't stopped me from coming up with more clock ideas and gadgets. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I finally get it all together.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Very cool K! Would love to see what you have in mind!

I too have been busy and now have the base for the HO well underway. Below is a picture. The legs are nearly complete also but my phone went dead before I could snap a picture. The base is made if Red Oak, Maple and Walnut. The upcoming photo of the legs are made mostly of Red Oak with Walnut and Wenge inlays. Next up is the face, some leg supports ( will match the legs) and a safety shelf to catch the bob if it slips (which, at around 10 pounds, I hope never happens)

More pictures to come.
Attachments
20170219_183215.jpg
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Been very ill. Flu can affect a shark I guess :). Got a couple things to share, but not much complete. Below are pics of the front legs and a tentative design for the hands from wenge .
Attachments
20170220_223407.jpg
New Hands from Wenge.jpg
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Below is a tentative pre finish assembly of Claytons HO. Hope is within a few weeks she should be completed.
Attachments
20170301_212111.jpg
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

The HO mock-up. It's currently out to have a finish applied. Well on track for completing it in 2-3 weeks.
Attachments
20170304_125640.jpg
Albert Einstein

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

One of these days I'm going to try a clock project.
Are the plans easy to follow?

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Very easy. For me, at the beginning of any of them they all seem complex, but as you begin to work on them it just seems they eventually all make sense and come together easily. Hope you decide to build one, and if you do, we're here to help :)
Albert Einstein

IDBD

Post by IDBD »

cjablonski wrote:Very easy. For me, at the beginning of any of them they all seem complex, but as you begin to work on them it just seems they eventually all make sense and come together easily. Hope you decide to build one, and if you do, we're here to help :)

Which plan do you suggest I start out with first?
Also, are you suppose to use birch plywood?

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Glad you asked! I tend to side heavily on using Clayton Boyer's designs as I have never had one that, with persistence, failed. It's my understanding that not all Internet plans actually work yet every one of his I have built functions extremely well ( and I've built a bunch ) :). A great staring path is his Number 6 clock along with the Simplicity. Both have very few wheels and pinnions ( gears) to deal with therefore minimize fiddling later . Additionally one of them is a unframe construction which makes arbor (rod) hole alignment problems non-existent. Others here (Bob) built the simplicity in very short order and had her running within a few weeks (which all depends on how much time you allocate for it). With whatever you choose I guarantee I will do my best to help as this as a hobby is incredibly satisfying. .....and a bit addictive :) They are absolutely conversation starters, even sometimes debate starters as to whether you built it or not LOL. And don't be surprised when the "Where did you buy the kit from?" question arises :)

I would definitely recommend using baltic birch plywood to begin with for at least the wheels and pinions ( technical term in clock making for gears ). It's stability saves a lot of hair folicals later :). And try to avoid any finish on them too. Guming up the works is not a great thing to do.
But all in all, with whatever you decide to do, in the end the grin is guaranteed to be from ear to ear. ....all the while proving that "wood can do that".........and you can too ;)
Albert Einstein

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Genesis is the easiest clock Boyer currently sells. Kauai is also on the easier side. And Simplicity, which I posted earlier, isn't too much harder.

Plywood is highly recommended because it doesn't expand as much in varying humidity. I use birch ply for all my gears and wheels (everything I expect to stay perfectly round). The decorative components, like the face and hands, can be made of practically anything.

Late edit: I see cjablonski ninja'd my response. I also get the "you built it from a kit?" assumption all the time.