CNC and clock building

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BillK

Re: CNC and clock building

Post by BillK »

So I got side tracked a little by life itself, but I'm back on my clock based on the Brian Law clock 1 design. You may recall that I have been designing each gear individually and enhancing each with various features in Aspire.

So now that all the gears are done, time for the front and back gear supports. Law just has some simple boards that are reminiscent of clock hands. Of course I wanted something different.

Using the gear gadget for a base, here is my design carved in red oak. The pocket holes that run down the center are for the hanging support, escapement, 3 gear-shaft assemblies, and the bottom for support. These holes will accomodate ball bearings for the shafts.

Plenty of open spaces to view the pendulum rod moving behind.

Thanks!
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Amazing work!

Are those solid wood gears? Do you run into any problems with expansion and contraction over weather?

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Absolutely beautiful work!
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

BillK

Post by BillK »

Thanks for your kind words!

Yes, these are solid wood, but this is all one piece for the back of the clock. I use dried red oak. Once sealed its very stable. Any variation due to seasonal changes shouldn't affect this piece too much, especially here in the Northeast.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Excellent work for sure bill. I too live in the northeast but have noticed some slight variations on performance on the different seasons. It may just be me, but I've found that at least one of the clocks I've built , Clayton Boyer's Marble Strike, seems to "prefer " the cooler fall and winter months over the summer. I tend to have less issues with it, albeit few at all, on the winter vs the summer. I'm not truly sure why, seeing that it's made from Baltic Birch plywood. Plywood still expands and contracts , just less than "real wood". I just chalk it up to being " born" in January lol. Keep up the beautiful work and would love to see more!
Albert Einstein

Rushman2112

Post by Rushman2112 »

I am going to try one I think night right away but since I dont know that much about it I was wondering if I cut the hands out of wood and just put it on a motor is there something I should be aware of in doing so. I know I have to make sure the center of the hand is going to fit the motor but is that all I have to think about

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

If by motor you mean an inexpensive analog clock interior, you'll need the hands to be balanced and light. Those movement mechanisms are not true motors and are extremely weak, which they make up for by being energy efficient and cheap.
Last edited by Kayvon on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

He is right with regards to making sure that the hands are balanced. Additionally, make sure they are as light as possible. If you need assistance with creating a clock face, we are here and willing to help. Don't be shy, just ask :). I would strongly recommend looking through past posts here to gain inspiration and assistance. Most of all, enjoy the journey!
Albert Einstein

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Although the wall of all things space and time is still under construction, it is nearly complete. Once done I will post photos. This year will I will be engaging in Clayton Boyer's 2 wheel walking escapement Harmonic Oscillator Clock. It will be in a few months as other projects will need to get underway post Christmas, but once they are completed the oscillator is next. Anyone here ever built one?
Albert Einstein

bill z

Post by bill z »

In looking at this clock on Youtube, does it have to be free standing or can it be a mantel clock? I’m asking without looking at any plans, it seems the frequency comes from the rotating spheres. The spears don’t have to hang down too far to get the clock to work.

I already have 3 grandfather type clocks and the wife won’t stand for another one, but she will let me make another mantel clock.

Another question, would high volume ceiling fans affect this clock? Here in the south, we have to move the air to keep comfortable in the summer. Fans are always in high. Sometimes sheets of paper do move off of the coffee table.