Pocket Depths

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

hdtheater

Re: Pocket Depths

Post by hdtheater »

I forgot to add that I measured the variation in depth to be .032.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Eric,

I have been out of the office last couple of weeks. Now I have not tested this issue so if possible can you email this directly to me. I will run it here. I would like the vcarve file so I can see the setting. What are you machining into so we can try it out. At this point I need to see it run my self so I can figure out what is going on.
Thanks

Tim

towens@nextwaveautomation.com

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

So Eric - I see your project now in the gallery. Did you resolve the difference in depths, or just sand them out for now?

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Not working as it should yet. I was able to work around it by running the tool path a second time at a depth deeper than the lowest variance the first time. I have since sent the Vcarve file to Tim and am awaiting his response.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I am out of the office until monday. I am having some people run the program tomorrow to see if they can replicate it. We also be having a meeting with Vectric (on Monday) so they can look at it as well.
Thanks

Tim

waynevan

Post by waynevan »

Um......what was the final outcome here?

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

This is still an open issue. I have been working with Tim Owens to get it resolved. I will post my fix when I have one.

Thanks,

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

fison

Post by fison »

Eric,

I've had some similiar problems to what's been described here and I found that it was due to flex in the system on -Y cuts while milling a pocket. The drag on the bit was pulling down the router about ~.01 inches. It normally only happened on initial cuts and didn't seem to materialize on initial cuts going in and X or +Y direction.

My solution was to set my path depth to something that left ~.02 inches for a final pass. Not sure if that's your problem but thought it would be worth mentioning.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

It sounds close, my issue occurs when the router picks up and starts in a new spot within the same pocket. My work around is the same. I am using 1/4" end mill and carve a 1/16" deep pocket and finish the entire job. Then I carve a second one at 1/8" and that usually solves my issue. My bit is set to have a pass depth at 1/8". In addition, I have slowed my feed rate down 50 and that has not resolved the matter.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I would like you guys to try something. I have not seen this specifically with the pro pluses. Remove the g64 at the top of the gcode file and see if this affects your run. You can also check to see if the Z axis nut for the lead screw is secured tightly with three screws (make sure they are all the way tightened down). That is going to be tough to see since it secured on a block that you can only see from the bottom) you might have to take the gantry off.

Tim