z axis runaway

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

nstrong

z axis runaway

Post by nstrong »

Sometimes when I touch the screen to lower the z axis the system automatically drives downward. three times it has caused the bit to drill through the board and the platform. this has ruined three bits and cut holes in my table. has anyone else experienced this?

bill z

Re: z axis runaway

Post by bill z »

Yes. Happened to me on occasions. The Z is the most destructive but same thing happens on X and Y on occasions.

What I do to reduce the occurrence is change the speed of the JOG before I do any JOGs. Seems to rectify the issue. I can change to step then back to medium or slow.

I suspected the real culprit was the touch pad driver and compatibly because I am using a laptop. But the problem still happens when I use my Bluetooth number pad.

It would be nice to not ever need to worry about it again. Just one less thing.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Yes, this is an issue with how Windows handles touch screens, versus how the control panel works. The control panel is written for use with a mouse, and Windows does not always send the "mouse up" signal to the program, and so tells the control panel that you are still pressing the button. I get around this by:

1) not using the touch screen to "hold down" a button, and never on the jog buttons.
2) If I do use the touch screen, like for the Estop or Pause buttons, I touch somewhere off the button after it's pressed, like in the area where it displays the toolpath.
3) For a "touchpad", I use a logitech T650 wireless touch pad, and again...touch somewhere OFF the button after I've touched what I wanted.
4) For jogging, I use a remote numeric keypad. Mine is USB wired, but a wireless one should work fine also.

Hope that helps, yes, I've experienced the same, expensive and horrifying thing. :(.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

I used the screen only once. Never again after that. LOL Use the mouse, it's a safer bet.
Rick

grazinghorse

Post by grazinghorse »

I have experienced this using control panel 1.6 (I think) what I noticed is when the touch plate is used, if the program does not say REMOVE TOUCHPLATE then repeat using the touchplate, until it says remove the touchplate.

nstrong

Post by nstrong »

Thank you all for the comments