Replacing y axis motor

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

DCWigg

Replacing y axis motor

Post by DCWigg »

Are there instructions anywhere for replacing the y axis motor on a Shark Pro Plus? Do I have to remove the whole table or just the middle section? Any help would be appreciated.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Replacing y axis motor

Post by jeb2cav »

I'm not aware of any instructions that are written down for this. You'd certainly have to remove the table top to gain access to the nuts on the bolts that hold the motor in place, as well as the motor shaft to traverse screw coupler (which you'll want to release before you proceed to take the motor off). I'm not sure whether a replacement motor comes with the cable to the control box as well, but a quick call to NWA support would provide that answer.

A rough outline of the steps would be:

1. Turn off all power to the Shark Control Box

2. Remove the Y axis cable from the back of the control box.

3. Remove the table top surface.

4. Back out the set screws on the shaft/traverse screw coupler.

5. Remove the motor.

Reverse the steps to replace. When you re-tighten the coupler set screws -

1. Tighten the set screw on the traverse shaft first.

2. Then I'd apply pressure on the traverse screw in the opposite direction of the motor to ensure it is firmly seated in the bearing on the opposite side of the table, and then tighten the set screw on the motor shaft. I dip both set screws in a little wood glue to help ensure they remain seated. I would not use screw lock of any kind - but some folks do.

FixitMike

Re: Replacing y axis motor

Post by FixitMike »

One can loosen the table top extrusion bolts and slide the top over far enough to access the Y axis coupling. The bolts and the top do not have to be completely removed.