Spindle options

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gruszie

Spindle options

Post by gruszie »

Has anyone tried or is using an aftermarket spindle like the ones offered on ebay or Amazon? I am looking on upgrading to a spindle and was wondering how the ebay units compare. Mainly on how long the bearings last etc. The spindles offered from rockler seem similar to the ones offered on ebay but for a lower price. I can't seem to get any specifics on brand names and where they are built etc. Also was wondering if the two spindles from rockler and eBay are from the same factory or manufacture. Hopefully someone out there has some input.

sharkcutup

Re: Spindle options

Post by sharkcutup »

Just a word of caution! There are a lot of spindles on ebay but most are 220v and do not have cabling, cooling pump, and the necessary fittings for installation! And they do not have the correct size collet for the router bit.

The main Difference between Routers and the Water-Cooled spindle is the bearings within each unit respectively. Hand held routers were not initially designed for extremely long duration running. Their purpose was strictly for hand held or table mounted use. The Bearings along with the brushes in hand-held routers wear out a lot faster than water-cooled spindles. Some individuals have even taken the extra precaution even on water-cooled spindle units by adding anti-freeze to the water or putting the water in a cooler with ice or in a small refrigerated unit.

There is only one other downside to the water-cooled spindle and that is it can only accept collets for 1/8" and 1/4" diameter router bits. Of course I have not needed to use any diameter larger yet but if needed I have another hand held router that accepts larger bits so I could mount it to my cnc.

Have GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

gruszie

Post by gruszie »

Thanks for the response sharkcutup. I am well aware of all of the specifics on the different spindles etc. I mainly wanted to know if anyone has used one of these spindles sold on ebay and how well the work. Since the spindles from rockler have no manufacture information on where or who makes them, I couldn't help but to wonder if they are all made buy the same manufacture. Would hate to spend $800 for a spindle that I could have purchased online for half the price for the same thing. There are a 1000 things I can think of to spend $400 on.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Just a word of caution! There are a lot of spindles on ebay but most are 220v and do not have cabling, cooling pump, and the necessary fittings for installation! And they do not have the correct size collet for the router bit.
I have the $800. version 110V 1.5kw that Rockler sells because it is a complete package (inverter, spindle, cabling, fittings and pump and most importantly the HUANYANG inverter instruction booklet with all the specifics (wiring diagrams, jumper settings, etc.), and an NWA set-up instructions pamphlet). I have had it since March of 2016. It is a quiet running spindle. And YES the spindle and inverter are Chinese made specifically Huanyang Electrical Co., LTD. (a Subsidiary of Hong Kong Y&F Group Limited) Tai zhou City, Zhejiang China!!!

The only other downfalls are that the NWA Control Box does not yet accept the water-cooled spindle to be plugged into the back of the unit for 'program power up' and 'speed control of spinlde'. It should be plugged into another electrical outlet and manually powered up and speed adjusted at the inverter.

Have GREAT DAY!!! :D

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Fean

Post by Fean »

Besides the better bearings and being able to run a forever without overheating there are other advantages to water cooled spindles over routers. Usually they are brushless motors so they don't have to replace brushes regularly and they are much quieter so being around them isn't an ear shattering experience. Additionally they tend to have ER (11, 16, 20, 25) collet chucks which means you can have a very wide variety of bits available to use in both English and metric sizes. You can get collet sets in of sizes in English or metric or just buy the sizes you want, just make sure the TIR (total indicated runout) is low (below 0.001" or 0.02mm). You can see example sizes here:

http://www.techniksusa.com/metal/cnaerpci.htm

gruszie

Post by gruszie »

Ok so I pulled the trigger on the spindle setup I found on Amazon. I did my homework and decided to go with the 2.2kw 220volt water cooled version. Since I already had 220 in my garage that wasn't an issue. Water cooled made more sense because I will be doing fine engraving and didn't want to get any fine particles in the spindle. and lastly I went with the 2.2kw option over the 1.5kw because I need the larger er20 collet size to fit my 1/2" cnc bits. All the 1.5kw spindles came with er11 or er16 sized collets that maxed out at 1/4." Unlike the NWA setup, you have to do all the wiring with this kit. But if you don't mind an hour or two to wire everything up, you can save about $400 over the NWA kit. You will have to modify the mount to get the spindle to fit the mounting bracket on the Shark but all I had to do was make a mounting plate to size the mounting holes from the spindle bracket to the shark mount. I have been using the spindle for a few weeks now and I must say this think is miles better that using my Bosch router. The inverter has tons of options to control speeds \, start up times, etc. No more guessing the RPM's of the router, the Inverter displays the RPM's. Much quieter that the router as well. Over all I think this was a good purchase. If you don't mind a little wiring and saving about $400, the amazon kit is the way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXLXRTY/ref ... nc+spindle

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Glad to hear you have finally decided, installed, and used a spindle on your CNC. Amazing all the options and opportunities it brings to the CNC???

In fact, I agree that is a GREAT buy for $400. provided access to 220V is readily available which in my case it is not. So I am left with just having to change out my spindle for the Electric router whenever I need to use my 3/8" shank or 1/2" router bits.

Good to hear you are finally CARVING!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SKIF16

Post by SKIF16 »

I have a 110v spindle that I bought directly from NWA. Yesterday the collet shaft assembly decided to start coming lose and sliding down the shaft towards the collet. I noticed it when I attempted to change router bits. The collar that is adjacent to the bottom of the spindle migrated down the collet shaft and covered the indentations on the shaft provided for the small collet wrench. I was able to tighten the shaft and the collar back into the spindle and finished cutting my project. However I am not sure how long the collar will stay put or the shaft will stay secured to the spindle. I have been using the spindle for a couple of months (maybe 50 hours of run time). I will call NWA on Monday for advise. Has anyone else had this problem?

Rando

Post by Rando »

If what you've described (a picture saves a thousand words?) is what I think it is, my understanding is that collar (coming off) is intended to allow for bearing replacement. You probably reattached it using 3 set screws or cap-head screws, correct? If so, a little blue lock-tite threadlocker will do the trick. I'd stay away from the (permanent) red for this application, as you might eventually want it off.

It's likely not a defect, per se. On mine (Not an NWA one) the collar holding the power connector (at top) vibrates loose about every 10 hours of use...just something I watch and laugh at.

Cheers!

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I've got this one installed on my Shark;

https://smile.amazon.com/Japanese-Match ... ring+2.2KW

The difference between it and the old router is like night and day. It's very quiet, the dust collector outside makes more noise, I can work in the shop now without ear muffs while it's running. Doesn't kick up the dust like a router does. and I have a lot more options for bits now, and the run out is less.