finest bit size selection

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cellnorth

finest bit size selection

Post by cellnorth »

greetings all,
i am trying to CNC a very intricate design. what is the smallest bit size usable with Aspire?
i could not find much in the Aspire bit library
in a Rockler store i saw a very intricate rose, but they were not sure what bit was used to CNC it.
thanks!

Kayvon

Re: finest bit size selection

Post by Kayvon »

Aspire/VCarve will allow you to create your own bits, so I suppose the smallest bit size is 0.001". I've used it successfully with bits as small as 0.8mm (0.031"), but there's no reason you couldn't specify smaller if you needed to.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Cellnorth,

Hoping I’m not answering more than your question, but I have to tell you that Aspire will go way smaller than any bit you can find.

Bits for the big routers like 2 HP+ Dewalt, Porter Cable can go down to 1/16” where the collet / chuck size is ¼”. Then there are the Dremel bits that go smaller. As the bits get smaller, you have to be careful with the speed you cut so to not break them.

Then there is an issue with just how deep any of these really small bits can cut.

I use a Whiteside straight cut solid carbide ¼ shank, 1/16 cutting diameter router bit a bunch in cutting wood geared clock gears (and some get real small) and Christmas ornaments. That is the smallest high quality high speed router bit I have found without going to the Dremel bits. My opinion here.

Hope this helps in some way.

Rando

Post by Rando »

I get my tiny endmills from PreciseBits (http://www.precisebits.com/products/car ... t-stub.asp), and have a box of 1/8" shank 1/16" (0.0625) and 1/32" (0.0325). I've used them in aluminum and acrylic. As others have said, you have to be very delicate with them. Slow cuts, small stepover, and very high RPM. Luckily for me, the CAD/CAm package I use, BobCAD, can do a thing called "Rest machining", where that tiny bit will only be used to clean out the corners and other tiny areas that the larger bit can't handle. Much faster clearing of the feature, and saves those fragile tiny bits.

I typically take only 0.008"-0.010" depth of cut with those bits, though they're typically able to do 3xDiameter total flute length. But, of course, don't try to cut that full length :D.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)