VCarve CNC Glitch?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

erich2027

VCarve CNC Glitch?

Post by erich2027 »

Hello. I did my first real CNC cut today and there was a glitch. I have the Piranha XL and I have to change the bit 3 times for this sign. Anyway, if you look at the top left of the sign, you'll see where the bit took out a piece of the border and I'm not sure why and how to prevent that in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For the settings of "Area Machine Strategy", I used "Raster", where it starts at the bottom and cuts up from side to side.
Attachments
coffee.jpg

Rando

Re: VCarve CNC Glitch?

Post by Rando »

Erich2027:

Without evidence of other issues, I'd check that your GCode is correctly setting the path tolerance. Near the top of the tap file there should be a G64 P0.002 or similar small number. If it's missing, or it's 0.1, you'll want to change that. Best place is in the post-processor file. Before you go down that rutted and rock-strewn road, let's confirm that's really the issue.

What's up with that little spot near the gouge, but at the perimeter on that left side? It looks like a smaller nick. Was that part of the same gouge?

Other than that, was the bit doing anything in particular at the time? Was it right at the start, or end, or between sections, any of that?

Given you changed the bit at least twice, we can assume it was tight :D.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

If you could post the file someone can help with it, otherwise we don't know what you setup is. This picture doesn't tell us what is wrong with your file.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

erich2027

Post by erich2027 »

@Rando, It was towards the end of the first stage (first file), I have 3 files since I have to change bits 3 times.

@Tonydude, great idea! I will post the first file. I didn't hang around for the first program, as it was the longest. I was there for the last 2 files, which were the words and the cutout, and the gouge happened before those bit changes.

Also, there was another "nick" above the deeper gouge.

I assume you are asking to post the TAP file? I'll post that. If you want the VCarve file, let me know... Thanks!
Attachments
1ballnose.tap
(939.13 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Are you sure it's not your safe Z? If your origin point is the top corner and you're changing the Z to a lower position when you change bits, it could easily happen.

erich2027

Post by erich2027 »

Kayvon wrote:Are you sure it's not your safe Z? If your origin point is the top corner and you're changing the Z to a lower position when you change bits, it could easily happen.
My original point is center, and this happened before I changed bits.

erich2027

Post by erich2027 »

I posted the TAP file. Any help would be appreciated.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

erich2027,

Is there any chance that you could post your .crv file (V-Carve or Aspire File)? So that we may look over your design file for any discrepancies that may lead to your problem area.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

erich2027 wrote:I posted the TAP file. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't see anything in the G-code that appears out of the ordinary. X never goes left of -5.66, which is as far left as is goes through much of the project, even on the lower half.

erich2027

Post by erich2027 »

I guess I'll just have to make another one and see if it happens again.