Watercooled Spindle setup.

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lsnyman

Watercooled Spindle setup.

Post by lsnyman »

Does anyone have the Spindle from NWA?
I am finding it difficult understanding the manual that came with the Inverter.
The spindle says it is rated for 24000rpm, however when i max it to full speed it is only 11,500 rpm.
Does anyone know how to set this up properly? There is no manual other than with the inverter manufacturer. Nothing from NWA

sharkcutup

Re: Watercooled Spindle setup.

Post by sharkcutup »

Isnyman,

I have a water-cooled spindle from Rockler.com and as shipped and installed I am getting 24000 rpm max. I have not needed any more rpm's than that as of yet and I have not looked at my manual to see if it is even possible to get more rpm's out of it by changing settings within. Maybe there is someone else out there who is using one and is more knowledgeable of how to change settings can help you get yours set up to your satisfaction.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rando

Post by Rando »

lsnyman wrote:Does anyone have the Spindle from NWA?
I am finding it difficult understanding the manual that came with the Inverter.
The spindle says it is rated for 24000rpm, however when i max it to full speed it is only 11,500 rpm.
Does anyone know how to set this up properly? There is no manual other than with the inverter manufacturer. Nothing from NWA
First, a couple questions, somewhat stream-of-consciousness:

From what you can tell, is it operating at full torque? That is, it's not just barely spinning in a wimpy wimpy manner. Having the leads mis-wired can cause this; don't know if that's possible with yours, or if it's all connectorized.

How are you measuring the RPMs that you know it's 11500? I ask this because if it's from the digital readout of the VFD, it's mildly possible that it's not really displaying RPM, but a different value. What it displays can be chosen by--you guessed it--more internal settings!

Do you have a non-contact digital tachometer, and if that's what you're using, are you also using the indicator tape?

I've got a PNWCNC club meeting to get to, gotta show off a new under-spindle LED ring light I made. If support isn't able to solve the problem, we'll get 'er figured out somehow!

Regards to all,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Hi
Sorry for the delay as I was away.
Thanks for the response. I posed the questions to NWA support on Sunday and no response for almost a week.
I am reading the RPM on the VFD Drive digital display. It has a >> button to read different things on the display like Voltage, frequency etc. This is the RPM reading and it is reading 11496.
Is that the same place you are reading your 24000 rpm?

It is cutting ok with the simple V-Bit trials I have so far but my fear is it is too low for some deeper cutting work. The speed seems high but of course I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Well, I think I have it. The PD-144 was set to 1440 and by changing it to 3000, the readout is now 24000 rpm. It does seem the speed has increased but not sure it has doubled.
I will try and get a digital tachometer somewhere and confirm.
My guess is these are actually 220V single phase VFD that have been fudged to work on 110V.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Good to hear, but your numbers seem unexpected, compared to what I'd think.

On my system, 24000 RPM / 60 = 400 Rotations/second = 400 Hz, for a typical spindle motor having three poles. (The VFD produces a Y output, with three coils, and the 4th wire is a case safety ground).

If you're seeing 11,500RPM from something that's actually putting out 1440Hz, that would be odd. I'd expect 1440Hz to do more like 86.4K RPM! 11500 RPM would normally work out to 191.66667 Hz It would mean there's a divide-by 8 in there somewhere, which I'm guessing the NWA spindle does not have.

Sounds like "PD-144" is the parameter name, judging by this page (http://www.jinlantrade.com/ebay/invertermanual.pdf), that parameter is likely only the maximum value supported by the spindle, divided by 8. In reality, they're using that parameter to multiply some internal value to get a "speed display" without it actually knowing how fast the spindle's going around. The calculate the value and don't let it go above that, but it's a soft limit, not a hard one. The frequency numbers that set the maximum output are more in the PD-003 through PD-006. Those should be set to 400Hz as the max.

Can you provide the actual manufacturer's name and model number of the inverter? NWA as we know doesn't just provide a link, as one would expect of any normal company these days.

Thom

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Hi Thom
Yes, the PD-144 is just a register name that contains the value for max motor RPM.
You are probably correct that the display is all that has changed from 11500 to 24000 RPM although it does seem to be spinning a little faster.
The frequency settings have always been 400 HZ max.

The model number is HY01D511B
I believe it is a Huanyang VFD

thanks
Liam

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Well, I hate not knowing and as it may help others in the future, I picked up a Tachometer at Harbor Freight and did some measuring.
To my surprise the RPM display on the VFD is right in line with the digital meter, give or take 20 RPM or so. I tracked several measurements between 0 and 24000 RPM and it was quite accurate.
I then set the PD-144 register back to the 1440 that was set by default and the display readings were roughly half of the real thing.
So for other having the same issue, make sure PD-144 is set to 3000 to get a proper reading from the RPM display.

Thanks NWA for shipping me a kit without configuring it for your equipment application.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Yeah, sounds like the PD-144 is both a display multiplier, and a limit value for the adjustment control.

The PDF for this VFD is about a MB too big for the system to allow it in, so at least while my site is alive, people can find it here:

http://www.thomr.com/DropZone/invertermanual.pdf

Glad you're up and running. For me too, it was a pleasant surprise how accurate the rotation rate was, given what a pain it was with the router. Now, does 4 out of 6 mean 14k RPM, or 18k? Getting it within 100RPM always took "a moment.".

Cheers!

Thom

Rando

Post by Rando »

Okay, took a while, but I found it!

One of the other readers here (gordread) asked if I could post the schematic for the LED. It's nothing much, just a standard 555-based PWM. I added a switch to turn it on, and a set of dry contact inputs so my power controller can turn it on as needed from the CNC controller's running GCode. Since the ring-LEDs are 12VDC car "angel eyes", they can get quite hot. The circuit, therefore, under normal circumstances, limits the ON time to about 80%. To get the brighter output (don't run it too long!) turn on the switch across the 390 ohm resistor.
2016-017 CNC Spindle Light PWM.pdf
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Anyway, let me know if there's more needed, or if you want the actual eagle schematic file (.sch)

Regards,

Thom