cutting steel

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Angelp357

cutting steel

Post by Angelp357 »

I'm curious to know it the hd4 could handle cutting 1095 high carbon steel? I've looked around the forum but wasn't able to find anything on the topic. also, if possible what bit would you recommend for it. thanks.

gordread

Re: cutting steel

Post by gordread »

Most steel cutting that I know of uses a water jet of some kind. I don't know of any bits that would make a reasonable job of cutting any kind of steel. Though, I have very limited knowledge.

Gordon

TAW

Post by TAW »

The router will never be able to go at a slow enough rpm -even with the correct bit. Milling machines are geared for slow rpm's and have lots of torque to be able do steel.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Probably not anywhere close to what you are wanting, but I used a steel engraving bit in my Shark to cut a serial number in steel. I used my 6 speed PC router as slow as it would go and used a dropper to apply cutting oil as it cut. Serial number was only about 1/2 MM tall and something like 9 digest. Turned out real nice.

Not anything like a plasma cutter or milling machine.

There is my 2¢.

Angelp357

Post by Angelp357 »

i figured that would be the case just thought I'd ask to get confirmation. I've made a few knives and was hoping to speed up the precess but i guess I'll stick to making them by hand. Thanks for your input guys.