Long Sign How-to

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lsnyman

Long Sign How-to

Post by lsnyman »

I need to make a long sign 40" x 12" and cut out the shape.
As the HD4 can only do around 24" on the Y axis, what tricks are used to cut a long sign?
I could guess to use dowels into a spoil board but what if the words did not line up to allow a split anywhere?
How would you Share a letter between 2 toolpaths?
Thanks
Liam

Kevink18

Re: Long Sign How-to

Post by Kevink18 »

tilling toolpath

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Ah, thank you.
Will study that and look for a tutorial.

TAW

Post by TAW »

yes as said above tilling tool path. Try to size you tiles so you have a no carve area for the break and if not possible us the overlap option.
I use straight edge board with double sided tape and a clamp if possible to mark the tile size with masking tape and a line to slide the board down to the 2nd , 3rd... tile. Do NOT reset your x and y only your z if using virtual zero or changing bits.
Good luck.... once you use it and get a good system, long signs are not a problem..

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

I made a thin board that fit snug in a t slot and use it as a fence. I got a mark on it that is where I set y zero and use the same mark to line up the next section to cut and always use .125 overlap

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Thank you.
I was successful in cutting a 36 inch sign with Y passthrough. Except I have an issue with Virtual-zero but I will start a new thread for that.
Thanks
Liam