Virtual zero Fault with Tiling

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lsnyman

Virtual zero Fault with Tiling

Post by lsnyman »

I had an issue with Virtual Zero tonight while trying to cut a Tiling toolpath for a 36" sign.
Previously I have done the following steps with smaller jobs. I used the Center as XY Datum for all previous jobs.
Move router to center of material, perform Touch Plate calibration.
Set XYZ to 0.0.0
In virtual zero - set X and Y scanning distance to material size.
Load Job from USB and perform Virtual zero scan new points.
Router will move to bottom left of material and then to all 4 corners and back to center.
Start Job and it completes just fine.

However with todays job, I had to use the Bottom left as the XY datum.
I set the XYZ 0.0.0 close to bottom left limit of travel.
Set the Virtual zero as before, with Material size.
Loaded Job from USB and then Virtual should move just an inch right to the bottom-left corner of the material.

However it moved DOWN AND LEFT, soon of course grinding as it had exceeded the limits and of course I hit Abort.
I repeated this many times even resetting the machine limits in calibration again but it did the same thing every time.
Eventually I ran the job without Virtual zero and it cut fine so probably not an error in the job file.

Is my procedure correct and why is the machine trying to move DOWN and LEFT if I set it to XYZ 0.0.0?
Any help appreciated.

TAW

Re: Virtual zero Fault with Tiling

Post by TAW »

I had something similar happen when first starting out. Was using center for x y. But after few carves and wanting to use vertical zero and not having any original center material to locate the pad I went o ALWAYS using start position of bottom left corner for x y zero. The one thing I also stopped doing was when setting up. and have lined up X and Y bottom left corner it to only zero out X and Y and NOT use the xyz button. found and have read that you can use that once per set up and have had it crash if pushed a second time (if in same set up).
I then raise z up to a bout an inch and set Z at zero and proceed to do the vert Zero set up, which will go to the outer most CARVED areas 4 corners and the center.
In short I do not use the XYZ at set up time.
I also like the idea mentioned in the other post about using the t slot to wedge a wood slat in to guide your stock along the Y, while tiling....

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Just a reminder here about virtual zero.

In preferences of the cnc control panel software there are two preset settings that can be used depending on how you would like the cnc to take readings for virtual zero and they are - a.) entire material scan (four outer corners and near center of material) or b.) just the carving area location (four outer corners and near center of just the carving location)

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Not sure I am getting this. I have the Pendant and not the Control center.
Are you saying not to use the Zero XYZ button?

Also it sounds like you are using the touch probe and not the touch plate? Which is better to use?

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Okay Sorry!!!--- I believe a new section in this forum needs to be created for those of you who have purchased the HD4 for it has pendant and/or software control. It is a new breed of Shark and has its own fantasies, quirks, and mis-steps!!!

Just a thought for the Moderators of this forum!!!

Have a Great Day!!! :)

Be SAFE around those AWESOME Machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

gordread

Post by gordread »

Here is a stupid question, and I only ask because I've personally done this.

You said that you normally use the center of the work piece as 0,0 (as do I). Of course, using tiling, you are not able to do this, so you reset it to bottom left. Did you recalculate, and save your toolpaths after doing so? Did you re-open them in the shark control panel?

Just had to ask, 'cuz sometimes it is the simple stuff that gets us. I've been using my HD for over 5 years, and it still catches me sometimes.

Gordon

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

Hi
Yes, recalculated and checked that bottom left is origin.
As before, I have the pendant and not the Shark Control center.
This must be a bug on there.

lsnyman

Post by lsnyman »

So I did another test, and here is the issue.
No matter if you have the Bottom left OR the Material Center marked as the Origin, the router will always move down and left for the first point of Virtual zero by the distance that you enter for Virtual zero scan length.
I tried entering just a small 3" x 3" value for Virtual zero, and sure enough it moves down and left by the small amount.
So it seems creating the XYZ 0.0.0 doesnt influence the Virtual zero.
You would think it would create the first point at the present location, marked as 0.0 on the display.

Can someone verify this on their machine?

Thanks
Liam